A sleepwalking Mount St. Joseph loses to St. Mary's, 14-3

April 20, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

"Put it on the line or take a seat."

That's the ultimatum printed on the T-shirts that Mount St. Joseph's players wear under their lacrosse jerseys.

Yesterday afternoon at Weems Whalen Field in Annapolis, the Gaels appeared to have opted to sit it out.

No. 8 Mount St. Joe came out flat and third-ranked St. Mary's practically put the game away by halftime before claiming a 14-3 victory in what most thought would be a highly competitive Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead was one who had expected a close game.

"We definitely had a lot of respect for them, but they never really had a chance to get in the game," said Moorhead, who could find little to complain about as his team opened up a 9-1 halftime lead. "We shot well and we had the ball about 14 minutes of the first half. I think we kind of wore them out a little bit."

Myles Conway, who led all scorers with three goals and two assists, got the Saints started with the first of his three unassisted goals and Matt Clune (three goals, one assist) made it a 2-0 game when he converted a pass from Dan Collins (one, two).

The Gaels (4-7, 2-5) pulled to within one with 3:08 left in the first quarter after a goal by Jason Newman but that was as close as they would get. Conway and Clune each scored in the final minute of the quarter to give the Saints a 4-1 lead.

The second quarter was all St. Mary's. The Saints scored five unanswered goals to make it 9-1 at the half.

In the first half alone, the Saints outshot the visitors, 20-4 and owned a 9-2 advantage in faceoffs.

When it was all said and done the Saints owned a 33-9 edge in shots and a 14-3 advantage on faceoffs. More importantly, however, 10 different St. Mary's players scored with single goals coming from Dan Collins, Todd Vizcarrondo, Ryan Beard, Tassos Sfondouris, Kevin Gattie, Dan Marohl, Greg Carobrese and Kevin Sturm.

With a huge lead, Moorhead was able to insert some of his backups, including junior goalkeeper Pete Grimm, who made two saves while filling in for Jim Brown (four).

"We played with no intensity," said Gaels coach Drew Bowden. "On a score from one to 10, our intensity level was a one and you can't do that in this league. I don't know what it is. If I did, I would be a happy and very wealthy man."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.