St. Joe gets back on track against Gilman, 8-6

April 19, 1994|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,Sun Staff Writer

If you ask Mount St. Joseph pitcher Steve Matcuk, his coach could teach a class on motivational speaking.

Dave Norton ripped his fourth-ranked Gaels (7-2, 4-2) after the 12-2 shellacking they took last Thursday against No. 6 McDonogh, saying "we were absolutely terrible."

The Gaels responded with yesterday's 8-6, Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association victory over ninth-ranked Gilman (6-1, 5-1), which last Thursday halted top-ranked Calvert Hall, 7-6, to hand the Cardinals their first loss in 12 games.

"Coach yelled at us a little, and we felt we needed to redeem ourselves with this game," said Matcuk (3-1), who struck out six batters with three walks while scattering eight hits.

"We hit well against a top pitcher," said Marty Meloy, whose Greyhounds had one error. "We just got some bad breaks."

The Gaels got nine of their 11 hits off starter Greg Dobbyn (1-1), who had just one strikeout and one walk in four innings before he was replaced by left-hander Bobby Proutt (1-0). Proutt, the winner against Calvert Hall, yielded a run but retired five of seven batters.

Norton, who shuffled the lineup after the McDonogh game, said, "This is a key week that'll tell us whether we can be a championship team or an average team.

Yesterday, the Gaels led 2-0 after an inning, opened the bottom of the first with consecutive singles from Dan Rosewag (2-for-4, one RBI) and Matt O'Donnell. Both runners advanced on consecutive ground outs, with the second by Ryan Kenealy scoring Rosewag, and subsequent single by Eric Jeschke scoring O'Donnell.

Gilman tied the game at 2-2 in the top of the second on a run-scoring triple by Lenny Kagan (2-for-4, two RBIs) and an RBI single by Jamie Biddison, but the Gaels went ahead 5-2 after three innings.

Bill Mcquire -- pinch-running for the Gaels' Mike Couser, who singled -- advanced on a fielder's choice before taking two bases to score on a wild pitch. Everett Cooper singled and later made it 4-2 on a single by Rosewag.

Kenealy doubled to start the third and took third base on a passed ball. He came home on a double steal and after a collision that forced catcher Peter Bogue (bruised hip) to leave the game for three innings.

That set up an intriguing, three-run fourth inning for Gilman, which tied the game by capitalizing on two infractions against St. Joe catcher Cooper.

It appeared the Greyhounds' Luke Suchy -- who later made it 5-3 on a single by Kagan -- had grounded out to start the inning. But the umpire ruled the bat had touched Cooper's glove before making contact with the ball.

Biddison later hit into a bases-loaded double play with no outs, but it again was ruled that Cooper interfered with the batter. So instead of two outs, Biddison was awarded first base, and each runner advanced one base, scoring Jason Mersey -- who had doubled.

Two outs later, Matcuk walked in the game-tying run. Matcuk helped himself in the bottom of the fourth, however, hitting a run-scoring double to make it 6-5, and scoring on a wild pitch for a two-run lead.

Kenny Kravitz singled and later scored the Gaels' final run on a passed ball in the fifth, and the Greyhounds scored their last run on a sixth-inning error -- the Gaels' fourth.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.