Hopkins makes UM pay penalty in 12-10 victory

April 17, 1994|By Mike Preston | Mike Preston,Sun Staff Writer

Johns Hopkins saved its best for last against Maryland yesterday, and it proved to be enough.

The No. 6 Blue Jays scored four straight goals in the final nine minutes of the game, including two on extra-man situations, to come away with a 12-10 win over the eighth-ranked Terps before a homecoming crowd of 9,524 at Homewood Field.

Maryland (5-4) had gone up 10-8 with 11:57 remaining, but Terps' defenseman Dan Radebaugh was called for a one-minute, unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty with 9:32 left, opening the door for Hopkins.

NTC The Blue Jays responded quickly, getting an extra-man goal from Brian Piccola 55 seconds later.

Maryland defenseman Danny Robbins was given a one-minute penalty for unnecessary roughness with 4:58 remaining, and 28 seconds later Milford Marchant scored on a low shot to tie the game at 10-10.

Hopkins wasn't done, scoring two more goals to put away the Terps.

Defenseman Billy Evans got the go-ahead goal with 2:51 left, and midfielder Peter Jacobs iced it with 1:11 remaining.

"We got our fannies banged up, but we played hard and gave every ounce of effort that we could," said Maryland coach Dick Edell. "We played well enough to win. No, we deserved to win.

"But this is a tough place to win," Edell said. "Every time we seemed to get things going our way, well . . ."

Penalties. Maryland had 12 for 9:30. Hopkins had only three for 3:00, and the Blue Jays scored three extra-man goals. At one point in the second period, the Terps were playing three men down.

The Blue Jays were supposed to be minus three players yesterday, but they all healed quickly. Attackman and leading scorer Terry Riordan (broken thumb), Piccola (strained knee) and Marchant (separated shoulder) were not expected to play.

But Marchant finished with three goals, Piccola two and Riordan one.

Piccola and Marchant didn't practice until last Wednesday, and Riordan was released to play Friday afternoon.

"I didn't believe for one minute they weren't going to play," said Edell. "Hey, it's their homecoming and that tells you something. How many schools have homecoming during lacrosse season? If they could walk, I knew they were going to play."

This was a crucial game for Hopkins.

If the Blue Jays had lost, it would have hurt their chances of making the playoffs especially with Navy, Towson State, Hofstra and Loyola left on the schedule.

"We wanted to play this game real bad, we had to have a win," said Marchant. "We were told that this was a must-win game all week, especially after our losses to Virginia and North Carolina."

The Blue Jays started out strong, out-shooting the Terps 21-4 in the first period. But that's been a problem for Hopkins this season, poor shot selection and not finishing opportunities.

Hopkins led, 3-1, at the end of the first quarter, but Maryland rallied for three second-quarter goals to tie the game at 4 at the half.

Radebaugh scored 20 seconds into the third period to give Maryland a brief lead, but the Terps could never gain more than a one-goal lead for the rest of the period, which ended with the Terps on top, 8-7, as Matt Parks scored with 45 seconds left.

After Marchant tied it for the Blue Jays again, Rob Chomo and Greg Nelin scored back-to-back goals to give the Terrapins a 10-8 lead 3:03 into the fourth period.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.