Park takes until OT to top Curley

April 16, 1994|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,Special to The Sun

Park defenseman Zach Hettinger is known as one of the best when it comes to shadowing opposing attackmen, but when it comes to the offensive end, the junior admits he's only a novice.

Entering yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association Conference game against host Archbishop Curley, he had never scored a goal in his two seasons on the varsity. Last year he went the entire season without even getting off a shot.

But with a flick of the wrist yesterday, Hettinger not only helped his Bruins steal a 5-4 overtime victory against the Friars, but also gave himself a lasting memory.

"It feels amazing," said Hettinger. "This is my first one. I just flung it at the goal and hoped that the goalie wouldn't know where it was coming from."

It capped a late rally that saw Park (4-0 overall, 2-0 in the league) claw back from a two-goal deficit in the final minutes of regulation.

The Bruins played from behind for most of the second half, and trailed, 4-2, with under four minutes left.

That's when Jarod Rosen started the run, making it 4-3 by scoring on an unmolested shot after he was released from a penalty. Scott Snyder then forced overtime by evening the score on a low liner with just over a minute to play.

Then, with just over a minute left in overtime, Hettinger picked up a loose ball near his own goal, raced the length of the field, and with no one else open, shot a bouncer between the legs of goalie Jeff Fabiszak for the win.

"I feel very fortunate to have won this game," said Park coach Lucky Mallonee. "This is the worst I've seen us play all year, but I think Curley had a lot to do with that. We were just lucky today."

If the Bruins feel lucky, though, the Friars feel jinxed.

The loss marked the second time in three games that Curley (4-4, 0-2) took a perennial B Conference power to the limit, only to lose in overtime. Last week, they fell to Friends on a goal with less than 10 seconds remaining in overtime.

"It's really tough when you lose two overtime games to teams like that," said Barry Brownlee, whose team finished 2-9 a season ago after losing four games by a goal. "We're not playing poor lacrosse, but we're just not consistent enough throughout the game.

The Friars were led on offense by junior Tim Asher, who scored two goals and dished out an assist.

Mallonee said there were a number of reasons Park had to fight for its life yesterday, not the least of which was the loss of Danny Lisk, the team's best midfielder, who missed the game for personal reasons.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.