Administrative law judge charged in sex-abuse case

April 16, 1994|By Alisa Samuels | Alisa Samuels,Sun Staff Writer

Howard County police have charged a state administrative law judge with sexually abusing a 17-year-old foster child, who says he was molested about 30 times during the last seven years.

Marvin Lee Teal, 44, of Ellicott City was arrested about 7 p.m. Thursday at his home after an investigation that began in mid-March.

Mr. Teal was released on $25,000 bail yesterday afternoon. He was charged with one count of child abuse, one count of assault and battery, one count of second-degree sex offense, one count of third-degree sex offense, two counts of perverted practice and six counts of fourth-degree sex offense. He could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Mr. Teal has been an administrative law judge for the Office of Administrative Hearings since January 1990, said James G. Klair, the office's deputy chief administrative judge. The office was created four years ago to consolidate administrative hearings for 26 state agencies, he said.

"He's a good administrative law judge," Mr. Klair said. He would not comment on Mr. Teal's case.

The teen-ager told police the alleged abuse dates to 1987, when his father introduced the youth to Mr. Teal. The youth told police he decided to report the alleged abuse on March 14 because he had "had enough."

According to court records, the youth has been in and out of several foster homes under the supervision of Baltimore County Department of Social Services. He was sexually abused by his stepfather from the time he was 2 until age 10, the documents say.

He was placed in Mr. Teal's temporary custody three weeks before he reported the alleged abuse, police say.

Camille Wheeler, Baltimore County social services director, said because of confidentiality laws, she couldn't comment on this case.

The teen-ager told police that on March 13 he was asleep in bed when he awoke about 11 p.m. and found Mr. Teal performing oral sex. Once Mr. Teal fell asleep, the teen-ager moved to a couch in the living room of the apartment, the youth told police.

He reported the alleged abuse the next day.

According to court documents, the youth told police that the judge, who had "tons" of pornographic magazines, forced him to have sex.

"The abuse was always against his will and was very sexually abusive," said Sgt. Steven E. Keller, a county police spokesman.

Court records show that on March 18, a child sexual abuse detective contacted the youth's therapeutic foster care worker. The detective was told that social service officials had often questioned Mr. Teal's relationship with the youth because he had bought the youth expensive gifts over the years.

Court records say one of the youth's foster parents reported to social workers that they had found pornographic magazines in his room. The youth said he got them from Mr. Teal.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.