S. Carroll gets win on late charge

April 15, 1994|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Sun Staff Writer

South Carroll and Westminster came into last night's game in dire need of a win.

The same two teams that met in the region finals last year had one win apiece this season.

It was South Carroll that took charge in the later stages of the game wich to come away with a 10-8 victory at Westminster last night.

It was a game full of spurts, and the Cavaliers had the first one and the last.

After Jill Baldwin scored to break an 8-8 tie with 9:23 left in the game, Melissa Gettemy added an insurance goal -- her third of the game -- 12 seconds later. The Cavs defense did the rest, keeping the Owls (1-6) off the scoreboard for the last 11-plus minutes.

"You have to give Westminster a lot of credit for coming back. But our kids showed a lot of heart tonight. They never quit," said South Carroll coach Stacy Stem.

South Carroll jumped out to a 4-0, first-half lead before Westminster called timeout, regrouped and got to within 5-4 at the half.

Westminster's Tiffany Weal, who scored once in the first half, opened the second half with two straight goals to give the Owls their first lead at 6-5 with just over 20 minutes remaining.

Kristen Lewis scored her second goal of the game a minute later, and it looked as if the Owls were in control, leading 7-5.

But the Cavaliers answered with a goal by Gettemy and another by Tracie DiDio, who also finished with three goals and an assist, to even things at 7.

Westminster's Jen Markowitz and DiDio exchanged goals before the Cavaliers went up for good on Baldwin's score.

The Cavaliers defense came through at the end with the clincher coming when goalie Erin Nauyalis turned back a shot by Markowitz on a free-position chance in the final minutes.

"It was a very streaky game. I think we put our heart and soul into this one and played really hard, except for their first four goals, and that proved to be the difference," said Westminster coach Suzanne Peters.

"We had a hard time on offense. We were forcing things that weren't there and missing on our passes. The execution just wasn't there, and their goalie played very well."

Gettemy scored the opening goal seven minutes in after beating a defender along the right side before cutting to the middle and beating Westminster goalie Jaime Wheat.

Gettemy then found Katie Rockwell with 14:25 left in the half to make it 2-0. Erin Windsor scored back-to-back goals to give the Cavaliers a 4-0 lead, the first coming off a pass from Pam Dempsey and the second from DiDio from behind the net with 9:15 left in the half.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.