Severna Park makes it tough for Broadneck

April 15, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

This hasn't been an easy week for Broadneck's boys lacrosse team.

It got a little tougher last night.

Senior Rob Bates scored with five minutes remaining to lead No. 13 Severna Park past No. 8 Broadneck, 6-5, in Cape St. Claire.

The Bruins (2-3), winners of the past two 3A-4A state championships, were trying to recover from Monday night's 10-3 loss to Annapolis, when coach Clay White said, "We got hammered. We got beat on all ends of the field."

The players also were coping with the death of one of their classmates, Michael Jacobs, who died Saturday night after an ++ 80-foot fall into the Severn River.

"We're so proud of the way that we responded tonight because we were dealing with things a lot more important than winning lacrosse games," said White, whose team had its 33-game winning streak against public schools ended by Annapolis.

"I can't fault the effort at all. We played our hearts out and we played a real good ballgame."

The Falcons (5-1) never trailed, and there were four ties, the last ,, at 5-5 with 8:17 left after a man-advantage goal by Broadneck's ** Paul Marek off a pass from Dave Frederick.

Severna Park reclaimed the lead when Bates found an opening in the Bruins' defense and drilled a shot past senior Matt Lyttle.

"I just came down, gave a split-dodge to my right, fired it and prayed," he said. "I hadn't had a good shooting game, but thank God the last shot went in."

It was 3-3 when Severna Park's Eric Gibbons converted a pass from Bates with 5:32 remaining in the third quarter. Bates passed to Dave Maples for a goal less than a minute later, pushing the lead to 5-3.

Frederick answered just 40 seconds into the fourth quarter when he scored from about 25 yards out with the Falcons a man down. Marek then came up with the equalizer, setting up a tense finish, which included a couple of big saves from Severna Park's Chad Roberts and some effective checking that denied Broadneck clean shots in the closing seconds.

"I was scared," Bates said. "I've never beaten Broadneck and I was just praying we could beat them one time."

"Even when they're down, they're up against us," said Falcons coach Ed Ulrich, whose team plays No. 14 Annapolis tonight.

"I thought our defense played terrific, all four of them. Kevin Grizzle did a really nice job on [John] Lengyel, we had a couple different people shutting off [Bob] Hanna, the goalie had a couple real nice saves. We did not play error free, however, our heart and effort were more than enough to offset it."

Severna Park led, 2-1, after the first quarter on two goals by Mark Frye, and a goal by Sean O'Malley put the Falcons up, 3-2, at halftime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.