Georgetown rallies by Navy, 11-9

April 14, 1994|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Sun Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- If college lacrosse needed another reminder that Georgetown has arrived as a Division I contender, the Hoyas eagerly provided it yesterday.

Kevin Noonan, a senior midfielder from Kings Park, N.Y., scored the only three goals of the fourth quarter to bring No. 13 Georgetown from a one-point deficit to an 11-9 victory over No. 12 Navy on the artificial turf of Kehoe Field before 1,278. For the day, Noonan had four goals.

"We had already won respect," said Georgetown coach Dave Urick. "This reinforces it. It was especially rewarding for the seniors because they come a little closer [to Navy] each year."

Navy won the first three games of the series the past three years, but was hard-pressed last season after trailing at halftime, 5-2. But this time when Navy came back and entered the fourth quarter with a 9-8 edge, Georgetown responded. At least Noonan did.

"I'm right-handed, but I shot it lefty," Noonan said of the goal that put the Hoyas ahead 10-9 with 1:36 left. "I was looking to pass off, but I kept going to the cage and the shot was there and I aced it."

Georgetown endured 20 consecutive losing seasons before Urick arrived from Hobart, where he won 10 straight NCAA Division III championships. Georgetown authorized lacrosse scholarships for the first time and Urick was on the way.

The Hoyas (7-1) are off to their best start and en route to their fifth straight winning season under Urick. Their lone loss was to No. 9 Duke in overtime.

"Georgetown had already arrived before today," said Navy coach Bryan Matthews. "Look what they did against Duke. They're legit."

Georgetown made the Top 20 for the first time two years ago, and was as high as No. 14 last year (finishing No. 17).

"It's all part of the progression," Urick said. "We strengthened the schedule this year, adding Hofstra, Loyola and Penn."

His first group of recruits are now seniors. Urick leans heavily on themagainst the Loyolas and Navys.

"There are still hurdles," Urick said. "Navy was one of them."

The game was tied six times, the last at 9-9. Navy went ahead for the first time at 7-6 at the end of the second quarter and for the only other time at 9-8.

"It was two even teams who played like they should be only one spot apart in the rankings," Matthews said. "It was a matter of who had the best final five minutes."

For Navy (5-4), the game was part of a testy stretch that will continue Saturday against No. 7 Towson State and April 22 against No. 6 Johns Hopkins.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.