Man gets another life sentence for second pair of sexual assaults

April 13, 1994|By Alan J. Craver | Alan J. Craver,Sun Staff Writer

A computer analyst sentenced to life imprisonment last month for raping two western Howard County women was given another life sentence yesterday for two other attacks, on two women in Montgomery County in 1990.

William Kirk Evans, 52, of Silver Spring was given the sentence in Montgomery Circuit Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to two first-degree sexual offenses as part of a plea agreement in January.

Evans, a former systems analyst for the United Mine Workers Health and Retirement Fund in Washington, D.C., will be permitted to serve the prison term simultaneously with his life sentence in the Howard cases.

He will have to serve at least 15 years of the sentence before he is eligible for parole, according to state guidelines.

In the Montgomery County cases, Evans was accused of breaking into the homes of two Burtonsville women, one in April 1990 and the second in September 1990, while the women were asleep. He tied them up and forced them to perform sex acts.

The victims were unable to identify Evans as their attacker, but police and prosecutors linked Evans to the incidents through DNA tests.

Evans, who was married at the time of the incidents and has four children, was sentenced to life in prison last month for kidnapping and raping two Howard women in 1992.

In those cases, Evans was convicted for breaking into the home of a Dayton woman in May 1992 and a Mount Airy woman in November 1992, forcing the women to leave with him at gunpoint and raping them at his home in Silver Spring. He later released the women, giving them money for cab fare and telephone calls.

After the attack on the Mount Airy woman, police searched for 2 2TC small white car that matched the description given by a motorist who had tried to follow Evans after seeing him force the woman into his car.

The investigators found Evans' 1988 Dodge Colt parked in the driveway of his home on Rhapsody Lane in the Tanglewood section of Silver Spring on Dec. 18, 1992.

Evans, who was receiving psychiatric treatment for several sexual disorders at the time of his arrest, told a Howard judge at his March 30 sentencing hearing that he preferred the death penalty to life imprisonment. Evans twice attempted suicide while being held at the Howard Detention Center.

In 1971, Evans was given probation for approaching two teen-age girls in Silver Spring, grabbing their hair and attempting to drag them away.

He was again given probation for a 1980 incident in New Carrollton in which he attempted to drag a woman away with him.

As part of the probation, Evans was ordered to undergo therapy. He was given medication to control his sex drive but went off the medication when he remarried in 1985 and was not involved in any incidents for at least five years.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.