Glenelg's six-goal 4th period stymies Liberty, 11-6

April 12, 1994|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,Sun Staff Writer

Glenelg jumped out to an early lead, then watched visiting Liberty climb back in the game before coming up with a six-goal fourth quarter to claim an 11-6 win yesterday.

Dave Willis (three goals, two assists), Jeff Cordisco (four goals) and Greg Edell (one goal, four assists) were the offensive heroes for the Gladiators. Glenelg goalie Toby Heusser came up with nine saves and got strong support from his defensive corps.

Glenelg coach Rick Kincaid said it was simply a matter of executing. The Gladiators did so in the first half, which enabled them to take a 5-1 lead. They didn't for portions of the second half, and a game Liberty team was down by only two with just over three minutes left in the game. The Gladiators put it out of reach with the final three goals of the game.

"When we execute, we do real well. When we don't execute, we don't do well -- it's that simple," Kincaid said.

"We felt we matched up pretty well against Liberty and wanted to pressure them all over the field. We thought they would drop the ball some if we kept with the pressure and they did. We just didn't do it consistently and you have to give Liberty credit, they never quit."

Kincaid got the execution he was looking for with a near-flawless first half that ended with Glenelg (3-2) enjoying a 5-1 lead.

Willis scored the first of his three goals at the 8:08 mark of the first quarter with a fine individual effort. He spun by a Liberty defender along the right side before beating Liberty goalie Paul Lichtinger up top for a 1-0 lead.

Liberty (2-3) got that goal back on a goal by Jon Cougnet with 4:30 left in the first quarter, but Glenelg answered with goals from Cordisco and Chris Forespring to take a 3-1 lead after one.

The Gladiators added to their lead early in the second quarter when Cordisco cut inside and took a feed from Edell to go ahead 4-1 and then Brad Dockins made it 5-1 on an unassisted goal in the final minute of the half.

Despite his team's strong second-half effort, Liberty coach Troy Barnes said the difference was getting down early.

"In the first half, we played emotionless," he said.

"You just can't play this game without emotion. I was proud of the way we fought back. We could have just packed it in, but we didn't. You can't expect to come back from four goals down against a team like Glenelg."

The Lions came back with third-quarter goals from Kevin Mertz and Bill Nichols to get to within 5-3.

Cordisco got one of those goals back for Glenelg with just over eight minutes left in the game when he took a clearing pass from Heusser at midfield and went untouched before firing a shot past Lichtinger just inside the circle.

Mark Ozgar again got Liberty within two when he scored off a feed from Mark Aprile midway trough the fourth to make it 6-4.

Willis answered with two straight goals to give the Gladiators an 8-4 lead, but Liberty came back with goals by Cougnet and Aprile with just over three minutes left.

The last three minutes were all Glenelg as it got goals from Cordisco, Edell and Forespring to put the game away.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.