Beatrice R. PhilibertHospice volunteerBeatrice R...

April 12, 1994

Beatrice R. Philibert

Hospice volunteer

Beatrice R. Philibert, who had been a volunteer worker, died March 29 at Stella Maris Hospice after a stroke. She was 87 and had lived since 1988 at St. Elizabeth's Hall, adjacent to Stella Maris.

She had volunteered for more than 1,000 hours at the hospice.

A resident for many years of Govans, she also lived for a time in Pittsburgh and, later, in Severna Park and Elkridge Estates.

While living in Govans, she was a member of the Sodality and the Ladies of Charity at St. Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church.

The former Beatrice Robinson was born in Baltimore. She attended the schools of St. Paul's Parish in East Baltimore, then worked for Commercial Credit Co.

In 1926, she married Benjamin Philibert, a chemical engineer who died in 1982.

She is survived by a daughter, Beatrice Philibert Wilkinson of Washington; two sons, John Robinson Philibert of Foxboro, Mass., and the Rev. Paul Joseph Philibert, O.P., of Notre Dame, Ind.; two sisters, Mil

dred Farrell of Baltimore and Adelaide Pieper of Cockeysville; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A Mass of the Resurrection was offered March 30, and graveside services were held March 31.

Wendell McLeod Jr.

Worked in shipyards

Wendell McLeod Jr., a retired shipyard laborer, died April 3 at Sinai Hospital of kidney failure. The Northwest Baltimore resident was 62.

He had worked at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Key Highway and Sparrows Point shipyards and retired abut seven years ago because of ill health.

Born in Baltimore, he attended the Seventh Day Adventist Baltimore Academy and served in the Army during the Korean War.

His marriage to the former Margerine Rice ended in divorce.

Services were to be held at 1 p.m. today at March Funeral Home, 1101 E. North Ave.

Mr. McLeod is survived by three sons, Edward McLeod, Calvin McLeod and Kevin McLeod, all of Baltimore; and two sisters, Irene Moore of Burlington, N.C., and Delores Hicks of Boston.

James J. Smith

Ex-deputy sheriff

James J. Smith, who was retired from careers as an Anne Arundel County deputy sheriff and as a warehouseman for Texaco Inc., died Saturday at his Ferndale home of complications of a tumor. He was 67.

He retired in 1991 after serving as a deputy sheriff since 1968. He was a founder of the Fraternal Order of Police lodge in the sheriff's office and was its first president, from 1987 until his retirement.

He worked for Texaco at its Baltimore terminal from 1952 until he retired from that job in 1983.

The Baltimore native was reared in Waverly and graduated from Mount St. Joseph High School. He served in the Navy 1944-1952.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Philip Neri Roman Catholic Church, 6405 Orchard Road in Linthicum Heights.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Mary Rita Herrlich; a sister, May A. Smith of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.