Detectives seek information about slaying victim

April 10, 1994|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,Sun Staff Writer

Detectives from Havre de Grace and Baltimore County are trying to uncover information about an Essex man reported missing March 11 and found dead in a vacant lighthouse keeper's house in Havre de Grace last Sunday.

The body of Lance Alan Miles, 34, with bullet wounds in the head and abdomen, was discovered about 4:30 p.m. by volunteer caretakers of the John O'Neill Concord Point lighthouse and keeper's house at Concord and Lafayette streets.

Cold weather, a dirt floor in the 167-year-old historic building and a leaky roof have made it difficult for a state medical examiner to determine the exact time of death, police officials said.

"We believe Mr. Miles was killed somewhere else and his body was dumped here," said Lt. John Van Gilder of the Havre de Grace Police Department. "He may have been killed 10 days or more before the body was found."

Mr. Miles was born and raised in the Essex area, police said.

Marie Miles, the man's mother, went to his trailer in the Essex area and found it unlocked March 1, but he was not there, Lieutenant Van Gilder said.

Robert Renshaw, a supervisor with the Baltimore County Department of Parole and Probation, said Mr. Miles did not make his required February call-in and skipped his regularly scheduled visit with his probation officer March 7.

Court records showed that Mr. Miles was convicted of possession of PCP in 1990. He served about two years of a four-year sentence.

Mr. Miles was placed on two years of supervised probation in December 1992, Mr. Renshaw said.

"Our [probation] records show he was prompt for his appointments and telephone calls here, up until the time he disappeared," Mr. Renshaw said.

Detectives also learned that Mr. Miles did not have a car and relied on others or hitchhiked to job sites as a carpenter. He was a member of Carpenters' Union Local 1110 based in Forestville in Prince George's County.

"I'm not allowed to give out any personal information about Mr. Miles," a union spokeswoman said.

"I do know he was supposed to show up for work and did not," she said.

The union spokeswoman would not say when or where Mr. Miles had failed to show up, but Local 1110 does trade-show work in and around the Washington area, she said.

An autopsy performed by the state medical examiner's office in Baltimore on Monday determined little more than the cause of death.

A statewide computer search to match fingerprints enabled investigators to identify the body Tuesday, Lieutenant Van Gilder said.

Investigators believe that Mr. Miles may have been killed on a cold day because, when he was found, he was wearing three pairs of socks, long underwear, blue jeans, camouflage pants, a T-shirt, hooded sweat shirt, goose-down vest, a ski cap, a baseball hat, and black leather jacket and gloves.

Anyone who knew Mr. Miles or had contact with him from early January through mid-March is asked to call homicide detectives in Havre de Grace (410) 939-2121 or Baltimore County (410) 887-3943 to help investigators learn his whereabouts before his death.

All information will be kept confidential, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.