Tax Answers

April 08, 1994

Here are answers from members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants to readers' tax questions. The Sun will publish answers through April 15.

Q: My daughter was married July 10. Can I claim her as an exemption half the time or full time for 1993?

A: Probably not. The IRS does not allow partial year deductions. The only way you can claim a married child as a dependent is if the child does not file a joint return and otherwise qualifies as a dependent. But, if your daughter and her husband do file a joint return but aren't required to (e.g., they file only to claim a refund), you may claim both of them as dependents as long as your daughter qualifies as a dependent.

Q: I want to know if my daughter, who is a student, could subtract her interest from Savings Bonds and from zero-coupon bonds on her Maryland tax return.

A: Yes. Income from U.S. obligations that is included on the federal return should be subtracted from income on her Maryland tax return.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary. Consult with a tax adviser for specific advice.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.