Lehigh workers overcome by fumes

April 06, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

Seven plant workers of the Lehigh Portland Cement Co. in Union Bridge were taken to Carroll County General Hospital after they were partially overcome by fumes about 1:30 p.m. yesterday.

David Roush, plant manager, said the men smelled a sulfur-like odor and became nauseated shortly after their lunch break in an area of one of the kilns.

Mr. Roush said the wind was coming from the south and possibly caused emissions to blow back down one on the stacks while the stack was suffering from an insufficient supply of oxygen, causing the noxious fumes.

Others workers in the area could smell the odor, but were not sickened, he said.

The county emergency operations center dispatched five medic units to Union Bridge's largest employer. The units sent were from Union Bridge, New Windsor, both ambulances from Taneytown and one from Frederick County.

A fire engine and the rescue squad from Union Bridge also responded to the scene.

All of the emergency equipment was returned to service about 3 p.m.

A hospital spokeswoman said all seven of the men were examined, treated and released by 4:30 p.m.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.