Terps come up short against No. 3 Virginia, 9-7

April 03, 1994|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Sun Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- "It wasn't pretty," said Tim Whiteley, Virginia's sophomore attackman from St. Paul's School, "but it was a win. We'll take it."

That's how most of the Virginia lacrosse team felt about its 9-7 victory over Maryland before 1,500 spectators yesterday.

Virginia, ranked No. 3 in the country, ran its record to 6-1, and dropped No. 8 Maryland to 4-3.

The game was dominated by the defenses, particularly Virginia's and its senior goalie, James Ireland. Ireland had 18 saves, several at point-blank range.

"Ireland was the best goalie in the country today," said Virginia coach Dom Starsia, "especially in the second half when Maryland was firing away and trying to catch up."

Ireland, who is 6 feet 1 and 190 pounds, even received a one-minute penalty for unnecessary roughness on a body check that flattened the Terps' Matt Back.

"That was as violent a check as I've ever seen a goalie throw," said Terps coach Dick Edell.

High scorer for the game was the Cavaliers' Greg Traynor, who had three goals. Kip Fulks led Maryland with two goals.

In view of the recent history of the Maryland-Virginia series, it's no wonder the Cavaliers were happy just to get the win.

The past five games between these two had been decided by one goal, the past two in overtime. Maryland won three of those five games.

"I've only been here two years, but I can appreciate what it means for us to beat Maryland by any score," said Starsia.

Maryland opened the scoring 1:12 into the game when Greg Nelin drove to his right and shot it past Ireland.

Drew Fox scored for Virginia on a man-up situation on a feed from Whiteley to tie the score at 1 at 6:29.

Maryland went back on top on Fulks' first goal, only to have the visitors tie it at 2 on a goal by Tony Nugent (Calvert Hall).

Maryland took the lead at 3-2 when Neal Dupcak scored on a screen shot from 10 yards out.

But Whitely tied the score again after a feed from freshman Michael Watson with 26 seconds left, and that's how the first period ended.

Traynor, a junior from Berwyn, Pa., who leads Virginia with 18 goals, put the Cavaliers ahead 4-3 at 4:02 of the second period. Fulks then came back with an unassisted goal to tie it at 4 with 5:11 left in the half.

Doug Knight scored a garbage goal on a loose ball at the crease to put Virginia ahead to stay at 5-4. With 1:02 left, Sean Miller knocked one in from the crease on a rebound from a Whiteley shot to make it 6-4.

Mike Crawford pulled Maryland to within one goal at 6-5 with 51 seconds left in the half.

In the second half, Ireland shined, and Traynor scored two straight goals to put the Cavaliers up 8-5.

Bordi dodged for a Terps goal to make it 8-6, David Jones made it 9-6, Virginia, and Maryland's Matt Parks (Gilman) got the last goal.

"We hung with them for 60 minutes," said Edell. "If you believe the polls, Virginia is the third best team out there. We didn't do a bad job against them, but there are some things we can do better -- like extra-man offense."

Maryland scored once on nine extra-man opportunities. Virginia

was 4-for-5.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.