Pa. team wins title on OT goal

April 03, 1994|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,Special to The Sun

Freshman Bobby Horsey scored two goals, including the game-winner 54 seconds into overtime, to give West Chester (Pa.) East an 8-7 victory over Centennial (3-1) and the championship of the sixth annual John Carroll Invitational Lacrosse Tournament.

In the consolation game, host John Carroll (1-2) used two goals by Tony Coatsolonia to rally from a 1-0 halftime deficit and defeat 4-2 North Harford, 3-1.

The Eagles, who trailed most of the game, finally pulled even as Brian Rowe bounced a shot over West Chester goalie Scott Garrett's head to tie the score at six with 4:08 left.

Centennial took the lead with 2:37 left as Rob Hauff scored his second goal of the game on a hard, low shot to Garrett's right.

The Vikings (4-0) answered 57 seconds later when midfielder Dan Chisholm split the defense and bounced a shot into the upper right corner of the net to tie the game at seven and force overtime.

Centennial had the first opportunity to score in the overtime.

The Eagles patiently waited for a shot, but the one they settled on, in traffic in front of the goal, was stopped on an acrobatic save by Garrett.

The ball was cleared to midfielder Matt Pappas, who found Chisholm in the center of the field. Chisholm was forced to the right side of the field, where he fed a wide-open Horsey, who scored the game-winner on a shot into the upper right corner of the goal.

After Jacob Kettner scored early in the first period, the Hawks' defense shut down John Carroll, holding the Patriots to only six shots in the first half.

Coatsolonia took advantage of a power play to fire a low shot over Hawks goalie Kevin Bandy's shoulder and tie the game at one just 1:56 into the second half.

The Patriots were assessed a three-minute equipment penalty just after the fourth quarter started, and the call seemed to fire them up.

Sean McDonogh scored the tie-breaker on a breakaway just as the penalty was ending to give the Patriots the lead for good at 2-1. Coatsolonia scored his last goal on a point-blank shot with 4:15 left to put the game away.

"We came back after the penalty," said John Carroll coach Boo Smith. "Tony's our go-to man and he came through for us again. In spite of the fact that we were playing without our two best defensemen, I thought we did well today."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.