Mt. de Sales puts stop to Hebron's streak

April 03, 1994|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,Sun Staff Writer

Cathy Nelson hoped she could finish this season as the only Mount Hebron player to have experienced a varsity loss.

Yesterday, however, the rest of the No. 2 Vikings found out what losing feels like.

No. 7 Mount de Sales stunned the Vikings with a 12-8 victory in the opening round of the Mount Hebron Spring Lacrosse Tournament.

The Sailors' victory snapped a 37-game winning streak dating back almost three years. The last time the Vikings lost, in the state semifinal game in 1991, Nelson was the only freshman on the team.

"When you get in the habit of winning, this kind of shakes you up," said Nelson. "We're not a great team. We're good, but we're going to have to work to be a great team."

The Vikings (2-1) did not look much like the team they had been the past two years. They showed some holes in the defense and their trademark quick-strike transition game never emerged.

Not all of that was unexpected, however. After all, the Vikings lost five Division I players to graduation, and they obviously need time to rebuild.

"I think we're going to have to learn how to win again and what it takes to win," said Mount Hebron coach P.J. Kesmodel. "Some of these girls got used to just walking out on the field and winning. They didn't realize how much hard work went into it."

The Sailors certainly delivered the wake-up call. They dominated the midfield with speed and aggressiveness and found the holes in the Vikings' defense. They also got a sensational game from goalkeeper Audrey Powers (nine saves).

Dani Vissers gave the Vikings an early lead, but the Sailors answered with three goals. The Vikings never led again although they tied at 3-3, 4-4 and 5-5.

While the Sailors (8-0) went on to defeat No. 9 Liberty, 15-10, for the tournament championship, the Vikings had to settle for a spot in the consolation game. Even that didn't prove easy.

The Vikings had to come back from a 4-1 deficit to beat C. W. Baker, from upstate New York, 12-7.

Early on, the Vikings appeared headed for a repeat of the first game. They couldn't get the transition game clicking and they managed just one shot in the first six minutes.

Julie Kickham broke the Bees' four-goal run and Nelson rolled the crease for another goal to pull the Vikings within 4-3. But the Bees (1-1) held onto the lead at halftime, 6-4.

In the second half, shades of the old Mount Hebron appeared as the Vikings scored three straight goals. Kickham, Lynette Chastant and Vissers scored in the first four minutes to put the Vikings up 7-6.

The Bees tied, but the Vikings reeled off the last five goals of the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.