Cavaliers finally defeat Owls

April 01, 1994|By Glenn Graham | Glenn Graham,Sun Staff Writer

The stage was set for history to be made last night in Westminster.

The seven-time defending county champ South Carroll Cavaliers (0-2) were coming to town to face the Owls (2-2) having played only one game so far this season under new coach Jeff Alisauckas.

When Westminster sophomore Dave Baker scored his second goal of the game with 1:33 left in the fourth quarter, it gave the Owls a 6-5 lead they would not relinquish in coming away with a 7-6 win over South Carroll.

The Owls' win over South Carroll snapped a 15-game losing streak against the Cavaliers that dated back to 1986 -- a 3-2 double-overtime win.

Mark Ruby, who was the Owls' offensive star with four goals, scored what turned out to be a much-needed insurance goal with just over a minute left in regulation to give the Owls a 7-5 lead.

South Carroll's Dan Hughes, who had four goals of his own, scored with 25 seconds left, but as was the case all night long, Westminster midfielder Paul Binetti won the ensuing faceoff and ran the remaining time off the clock.

"This one's very nice," said Westminster 13-year coach Jim Peters. "It's been a pretty big drought for the entire county. [South Carroll] has really dominated the past seven years."

It was a very young Owls team that came up big in the later stages of the game.

After trailing 4-3 at the half, the Owls saw South Carroll take a 5-3 lead on a Hughes goal with 2:05 left in the third quarter.

The Owls answered with a Ruby goal with 1:34 left in the third to cut the South Carroll lead to 5-4 and scored the first three goals in the fourth quarter to take control.

Ruby picked up a loose ball and scored with 7:04 left to tie the game at 5. Sophomore goalie Jon Gibson came up with 11 saves to nearly match the effort of South Carroll counterpart Clay Arthur, who had 15 saves.

"We felt we were capable if everyone put out their best effort, whether it be the cheerleaders in the stands or the ground ball guy. Everyone did their share," Peters said.

"We've asked a lot out of Mark Ruby to captain our attack as a junior. Dave Baker is a tough, tough kid. And I'm really proud of Jonathan [Gibson], that's a big game for a sophomore."

After trailing 2-1 after the first quarter, it was the Cavaliers who took a 4-3 lead into the half.

It was the South Carroll defense that set the tone early in the second quarter with junior goalie Clay Arthur coming up with back-to-back saves two minutes in.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.