St. Mary's pulls rank on Bruins

April 01, 1994|By Roch Eric Kubatko | Roch Eric Kubatko,Sun Staff Writer

Of the four teams taking part in last night's Al Laramore Capital City Lacrosse Tournament, Broadneck was the only one that hadn't played a game.

This wasn't how the Bruins wanted to get started. And this certainly was no way for a two-time defending 3A-4A state champion to be treated, especially on its home field.

Then again, when the opponent is No. 1 St. Mary's, a gentle touch isn't expected.

Senior attackman Matt Clune registered two goals and five assists, and the Saints put forth another fine defensive effort to dispose of No. 9 Broadneck, 9-2, in the rain in Cape St. Claire.

Senior attackman Kevin Gattie netted three goals for St. Mary's (3-1), winners of last year's Maryland Scholastic Association A Conference title, and Todd Vizcarrondo scored twice.

St. Mary's will play Annapolis at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow after the game between Severn and Broadneck. Severn edged Annapolis yesterday, 7-6, despite being outshot 31-20 and down a man twice in the last 2:20.

In the nightcap, Clune scored off a pass from Dan Collins at 2:35, using a nice head-and-shoulder fake to beat Broadneck goalkeeper Matt Lyttle (16 saves). Clune fed Gattie from behind the net at 6:29 for a 2-0 lead, and the Saints added three goals in the second quarter -- including one during a two-man advantage and another when they were short-handed.

Broadneck cut the lead to 5-1 at halftime when senior Bob Hanna scored the first of his two goals. It was the first goal St. Mary's had allowed in more than five quarters.

"The defense did a real good job," said senior Jim Brown, who made 10 saves. "We're young; we don't have a lot of returners, but we have [Jon]Cline, who transferred [from Severn], and he came up big. Joe Keenan is back, Thad [Schmidt] played a little last year. We're doing good."

St. Mary's scored twice in the third quarter, courtesy of Vizcarrondo and Greg Carobrese, and twice more in the fourth on Clune passes to Gattie.

"I was very happy with our effort," said Broadneck coach Clay White, whose team was outshot, 32-17. "Our intensity was the same from the first minute to the last, and that's what we've been preaching. But every time we made a mistake, they capitalized on it. That's the sign of a good team, a well-coached team."

Brown said, "Public schools are good, but the level of competition in our league is just a little bit better. But they always give us a good fight."

In the opener, No. 7 Severn won its first game after four losses, but it didn't have an easy time with unranked Annapolis (1-1).

The Panthers held a 17-10 advantage in shots at halftime, but fell behind, 5-3. They applied steady pressure to Admirals sophomore goalkeeper Willis Wu (12 saves), who usually was up to the task.

Severn scored first when Josh Sims made a pass to Brad Graw from behind the net that the junior midfielder turned into a goal at 2:32. Annapolis came back with a goal from Taylor Boone off a feed from Geoff Mears -- the only time that the game was tied.

The Admirals led, 5-2, after one quarter, but weren't heard from again until 53 seconds into the third quarter, when Sims scored. They were ahead, 7-4, going into the last quarter, then watched Annapolis close within one on goals by Travis Scholtz and Eric Morgan.

The second goal came with Severn a man down after committing its first penalty of the game.

There would be two other penalties in the last 2:20, both slashing, but the Panthers managed just four shots total, and none were on goal.

Senior Scott Regina had two goals and one assist for Annapolis. Sims and Tod Winchester each scored twice for Severn. Winchester is slowed by a leg injury.

Annapolis sophomore Tobin Poole made six saves after entering the game in the first quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.