Working OT, Dons outlast Lakers, 8-7.

March 30, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

With five seniors back on defense, Loyola coach Joe McFadden was fairly confident in his team's ability to keep opponents from scoring. But who would provide the goals for the Dons remained a mystery.

Unfortunately for No. 5 Boys' Latin, McFadden wasn't in suspense very long.

Senior attackman Keith Euker scored the game-winner, 1:10 into the fourth overtime to help the fourth-ranked Dons to a 8-7 victory in yesterday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association opener at Loyola College's Curley Field.

Junior midfielder Brian Zeller led the way for the Dons (1-0, 1-0) with two goals and an assist and junior attackman Jason Rickel added one goal and two assists.

"You can play any team on any day, but when it's the MSA [actually MIAA], then none of them are easy," said McFadden. "I'm disappointed in the quality of our execution, but we learned something today about these guys, and that is that they will lay it on the line to get the job done, somehow, anyhow, no matter how ugly."

The Dons had extra-man opportunities in each of the first three overtimes, but failed to put the ball past Boys' Latin senior goalkeeper Brandon Mollett. Mollett finished with 16 saves, four of which came after regulation.

Loyola junior goalie Sam Hudson finished with only six saves, but four of them came during crucial times.

"I was really nervous, but I was concentrating on the ball and watching it the whole way," said Hudson, who served as backup last season. "Coach McFadden knew that we were nervous, but he just told us to buckle down, push ourselves and try our hardest."

While Hudson may have been nervous, his stellar play in the clutch caught the eye of Boys' Latin coach Bob Shriver.

"Their goalie made two big saves right at the end of regulation and then he made a couple of nice saves in overtime," he said.

Boys' Latin (4-1, 0-1) which began the season with out-of-town victories over Malvern (Pa.), Avon Old Farms (Conn.), Norfolk (Va.) Academy and Episcopal (Pa.), took a 2-0 lead after goals by junior attackman Brad Gilroy and junior midfielder Jeff Jeffers.

Loyola tied the score on goals by junior midfielders Tim Hahn and Scott Diggs, before the Lakers claimed a 3-2 lead with 1:07 remaining in the first quarter on a Tim Berger goal, assisted by Chris Turner.

Unassisted goals by Gilroy (two goals, one assist) and John Fuller (two goals, one assist) provided the Lakers with a 5-3 halftime lead.

Time appeared on the Lakers' side as they built a 7-5 lead with 3:38 remaining in the third quarter, on an unassisted goal by Turner. However, Loyola's unproven attack came through in the fourth quarter as Rickel and junior David Fields each scored to send the game into overtime.

Seniors Karl Zeller, Roman Knysh and Tim O'Hara showed why McFadden was so high on his defense as they forced several turnovers and control numerous ground balls through the eight periods.

"It was a marathon, but both teams had a lot of chances to win the game and they couldn't put it away," said Shriver.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.