Hugh Kavanagh Jr.Owned tavernHugh I. Kavanagh Jr., a...

March 30, 1994

Hugh Kavanagh Jr.

Owned tavern

Hugh I. Kavanagh Jr., a tavern owner and former police official, died Monday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a blood vessel broke. He was 78 and lived in Govans.

For about the past 15 years, he and his sons owned Kavanagh's Pub on West Madison Street.

From 1971 until 1973, he was chief of police at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and reorganized the department during that period, starting with obtaining special police commissions for 18 patrolmen, who had been making arrests without legal authority.

After leaving the airport police, he worked for a time as a private detective.

Before his stint at BWI, he had been a state trooper, joining the agency in 1939 and retiring in 1971 as a captain.

During his state police career, he received three gubernatorial commendations.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Cathedral School and Loyola High School and attended Loyola College and Morgan State University. He also graduated from in-service training programs at other universities and institutions.

He ran as a Democrat for the House of Delegates in 1974 and for the City Council the next year, losing in the primary both times.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, Calvert and Madison streets, Baltimore.

Mr. Kavanagh is survived by his wife, the former Eileen Noctor; a daughter, Eileen Doolittle of Mystic, Conn.; two sons, Hugh I. Kavanagh III of Lutherville and Kevin J. Kavanagh of Baltimore; a brother, Joseph D. Kavanagh of Rockville; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dr. Deonis M. Lupo, a surgeon and gynecologist in Baltimore for many years, died Sunday of cancer at his Homeland residence. He was 88.

Dr. Lupo had a long association with South Baltimore General Hospital, now Harbor Hospital Center. He stopped doing major surgery in 1979 but was a consultant until about five years ago.

He had helped train interns and residents at the hospital, where he had also been a member of many boards and committees.

Harbor Hospital plans to name a new inpatient cancer center for Dr. Lupo and his late wife, the former Betty R. Shaw, whom he married in 1941. She died in 1981.

Born in Stamford, Conn., Dr. Lupo earned a bachelor's degree in biology at Boston College in 1927 and his medical degree at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in 1931.

He was an intern at City Hospitals, now the Francis Scott Key Medical Center, until 1933 when he moved to South Baltimore General and was chief resident in medicine.

In 1934, he joined the Army and was assigned to the Traumatic Surgery Department at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington. He returned to South Baltimore General in 1936 and was chief surgical resident before he started a private practice in 1938.

During World War II, he served with the Army Medical Corps at hospitals in Panama, reaching the rank of major.

Services were set for 1 p.m. today at the Ruck Towson Funeral Home, 1050 York Road.

He is survived by a son, Thomas Paul Lupo of Fullerton; two daughters, Denise Ann Lupo of Glyndon and Stephanie Lupo Ulrich of Baltimore; a sister, Marie Lupo Clear of Stamford; and a grandson.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.