Towson almost does job

March 27, 1994|By Doug Brown | Doug Brown,Sun Staff Writer

When Carl Runk was asked during the week how he was going to stop Syracuse, the Towson coach thought a moment.

"My son Keith is a sergeant in the Maryland State Police," Runk RTC said. "I'm going to have him stop Syracuse at the Maryland-Pennsylvania line."

Keith was unable to oblige, but it hardly mattered because the Tigers almost did it on their own. Towson stopped Syracuse for 60 minutes yesterday, only to bow to the defending NCAA champion, 17-16, on Charlie Lockwood's goal 34 seconds into overtime before 3,579 at Minnegan Stadium.

The score was tied three times during regulation, but No. 4

Syracuse (3-1) never led. Sixth-ranked Towson (3-1) led by four goals on seven occasions, and entered the fourth period with a 14-11 advantage.

After freshman Dudley Dixon made it 15-11, Syracuse ran off four straight goals to tie it at 15. Dixon then scored his fourth goal, but Casey Donegan tied it at 16 with 40 seconds left, sending the game into sudden death.

Predictably, Lockwood scored the clincher. A three-time All-American, the senior midfielder score his fourth goal of the game and 12th of the season, beating sophomore goalie Brian Whelan.

"Dom hit me with a pass in an unsettled situation," Lockwood said, referring to fellow senior midfielder Dom Fin. "Thank goodness it went in. We were lucky to escape with a win."

Said Runk, "Fin found the open man. Syracuse is good at that."

For Syracuse coach Roy Simmons, the victory enabled him to break a tie for second place with Runk among active winningest coaches. Runk has 233, Simmons 234 and Cornell's Richie Moran 242.

"I was wondering there for a while if we were going to find a way to dig out of hole Towson dug for us," Simmons said. "We're grateful to get outof here the way we did."

Towson, which trails in the Syracuse rivalry, 4-1, winning only in -- 1973, jumped on the Orangemen for a 7-3 first-quarter lead, thanks to a string of four midway through the period. Mark Goers won faceoff after faceoff, ending with 17. Goers and Tim Lucky combined for a 25-11 faceoffs advantage for Towson.

"They had not one but two great faceoff guys," Simmons said. "That's why Towson is difficult to play. They owned the ball so much."

Not until early in the fourth quarter did Towson start to show signs of unraveling. Even then, Dixon gave the Tigers the 16-15 edge before Donegan tied it for the last time.

"We were riddled with mistakes in the last five minutes," Runk said. "It was from fatigue and immaturity. They have a lot of good athletes, guys who can shoot the ball in the 90s, and we got tired.

"We got caught up in their running game in the final period, rather than playing a controlled offense.

You can't do that against Syracuse."

Lockwood and Roy Colsey led Syracuse with four goals apiece and Dixon led Towson with four. The Tigers' Stewart Crotty, Bob Doherty, Tim Langton and David Quinn each had two.

For both teams, the game was a rare experience on grass. Towson's first three games, and two of Syracuse's first three, were on artificial turf.

"This was the first time we've been on grass since we played Yale at Vero Beach on March 11," Simmons said. "Grass takes its toll on a team."

Towson next plays Loyola on Saturday at 7:30 at Minnegan. Syracuse will face Brown on Friday in the first round of the Fleet Invitational in Providence, R.I.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.