Water main break halts service for 16 hoursHomes and...


March 27, 1994

Water main break halts service for 16 hours

Homes and businesses on the west side of Taneytown were without water for about 16 hours Thursday and Friday as city crews scrambled to repair a broken water main on East Baltimore Street.

The break, about 100 feet from Taneytown Pharmacy, was discovered between 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Thursday, said Taneytown Mayor Henry Reindollar Jr.

Repair workers finished fixing the break about 12:15 p.m. Friday, he said.

"It was a nice gusher," said Mayor Reindollar. "It really did a nice job there. The worst thing was, there was a valve that wouldn't cut off. It had to be taken out and the interior replaced."

The mayor said he was unsure how much water was lost or how many homes and businesses were affected by the damage.

"Probably from our store on up," Mayor Reindollar said, referring to his Baltimore Street hardware store. "The Pizza Hut was cut off and the McDonald's had no water. I know we had no water."

Death of man run over by truck probed

State officials are investigating the death of a New Windsor man who was killed by a truck at the Northern Landfill March 17.

John Frederick "Freddy" Clinton Sr., 59, was run over by a trash truck.

The Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Agency is looking into the landfill conditions, said Dale Valentine, an agency supervisor.

Mr. Clinton, a Hughes Trash Removal worker, was directing the truck as it entered the dumping area when he tripped and fell behind it, police said.

Mr. Valentine said a report, which should be ready in a few weeks, would list any citations the county may receive if it was in violation of any state occupational health and safety laws.

After the accident, two local trash haulers said they had called county officials days before Mr. Clinton's death to complain about landfill conditions.

The county's Office of Risk Management also is conducting an investigation, which it does when an accident occurs on county property. Risk Manager Lauren Eib said she would wait for MOSH's report before filing her report.

Maryland State Police investigated the accident and filed no charges. It was treated as a "traffic mishap," a spokesman said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.