Patriots, Vikings get no decision

March 24, 1994|By Kent Baker | Kent Baker,Sun Staff Writer

It was supposed to be the opening salvo in the battle toward the Class 3A North region baseball championship.

Instead, it turned into a no-decision that left both sides unsatisfied.

Patapsco and Lansdowne fought to a 2-2 draw yesterday in a game called after seven innings at Patapsco with the sun having set.

Umpire Andrew Taylor suspended the action because a Baltimore County agreement stipulates that no inning can start after 6:15 p.m. until daylight savings time begins.

The top contenders in the region will complete the game May 2 when the ninth-ranked Patriots visit 11th-ranked Lansdowne.

For a debut after this nasty winter and little time to prepare, the game was not badly played.

"We haven't been outside much," said Patapsco coach Dave Ingle. "I bet there isn't a coach in the county who isn't a little leery of what he's got until he gets them outside some."

"You can't really tell yet what's what," added Lansdowne coach Ron Bareford. "This is the first time we've been on a field. Our kids have had eight swings at live pitching."

Lansdowne, the defending state 3A titlist, lost a ton of pitching strength, but unveiled its top catcher on the mound -- senior Rob Parsons-- and received good results.

Both runs against the right-hander were unearned, the outcome of throwing errors. He permitted only three singles and struck out 10 batters.

Parsons' left fielder, Bob Wheelton, saved him from a potential defeat in the bottom of the sixth inning.

With the score tied at two, two runners on via singles and two out, Chris Bender cracked a drive to deep left field. Wheelton, who started the game at third base, made a one-handed back-to-the-plate stab to shut off the Patriots.

"Parsons threw a nice game and Wheelton, who is my second pitcher, made a fine catch," said Bareford.

The Vikings scored both of their runs in the second inning when Patapsco starter Sal Greensfelder experienced a spell of wildness.

Five walks accounted for the runs before Greensfelder's brother, Charles, entered to squelch the threat on a force-out. Charles went on to finish, allowing four hits and pitching out of another bases-loaded jam.

Greensfelder's single, two stolen bases and overthrow on the second steal accounted for the Patriots' first run. Tim McKolon, who reached on a walk, came home on an overthrow when he broke for third base to score Patapsco's second run.

"We've lost two good players to grades and they might be back when we see Lansdowne again," said Ingle, whose team advanced a classification after winning the county 1A-2A crown last spring.

Parsons' replacement behind the plate, Charles Walter, did a strong job, tossing out three would-be Patapsco base-stealers.

After the second inning, the Patriots had only one runner in scoring position.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.