UMBC plays short, but wins big

March 23, 1994|By Bill Tanton | Bill Tanton,Sun Staff Writer

EMMITSBURG -- When the UMBC lacrosse team took the field here yesterday to play Mount St. Mary's, it appeared to be at an immediate disadvantage.

UMBC's freshman phenom, Matt Shearer, was in Baltimore, and a doctor was looking at the shoulder separation he received in a 12-10 loss to Lehigh on Saturday.

The regular goalie, Sasha Fraiture, was sick and back at school. In his place, junior Jamie Dickey was about to make his first college start.

Jason Smith, still was shaking off a concussion from Saturday, and fellow attackman Joe Wojciechowski was out with a shoulder separation.

Despite all that, UMBC won its fourth game against two losses, beating Mount St. Mary's, 14-5.

The Mount (0-3) has never beaten UMBC in 12 tries.

The Retrievers' Jamie Batley was the high scorer with four goals, including three in the second half.

UMBC got a boost when Smith was cleared to play just before the game. He scored twice and had an assist to help the Retrievers to a 7-1 lead by the middle of the second quarter.

"Coach [Don] Zimmerman came to me after the warm-ups and asked me how I felt," Smith said. "I told him I was OK, so he started me.

"But when I got that concussion the other day, I was unconscious for 20 seconds. I was out of it for the rest of the day. I'm glad I was able to play today and glad we could come back and play again so soon after losing to Lehigh."

Mount St. Mary's scored first, 3:27 into the game, when freshman Brendan Cronin took a feed at the crease from Matt Moran and quick-sticked it past Dickey.

But then UMBC came on and scored seven straight goals.

Smith dodged his way to the crease and tied it at 1. With 1:50 left in the first period, Chris Lloyd scored to give UMBC a lead it would not relinquish.

Stewart Walker made it 3-1 with 30 seconds left in the period on a screen shot from 10 yards out. Lloyd scored his second to make it 4-1, and Walker came back, dodged to the crease and fired one past Mount goalie Terry Moore, and it was 5-1.

Batley got his first goal to make it 7-1, the Mounts' Todd Sauer scored, and it was 7-2, and just before halftime Greg Sabo led a fast break that led to a goal and an 8-2 UMBC lead.

Early in the second half Batley scored twice, and then John McDonnell put the Retrievers ahead 11-2.

From there on many substitutes were used by both teams.

"I was glad to see us come back and look like a good lacrosse team today," Zimmerman said. "The loss to Lehigh was so disappointing.

"Jamie Dickey did a terrific job for us filling in at goal. Our goalie situation has been up for grabs all year. When we called on Dickey, he was ready."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.