In changing Sarajevo, soccer supplants shooting and roars replace rockets

March 21, 1994|By Chicago Tribune

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina -- If this war-torn city could be any more surreal, it was yesterday.

A soccer match was played as enemy troops looked down from the hills; paratroopers floated past sniper positions; and a British military band from Buckingham Palace marched through a battered stadium, wearing bright red uniforms and bearskin hats.

"It looks unreal to me," said Kemal Avdic, 14, one of 20,000 spectators -- the largest crowd to gather in the Bosnian capital since war broke out nearly two years ago.

"It's weird, isn't it?" commented a United Nations officer. "Very strange."

The game pitted Sarajevo's team against U.N. troops.

Soccer fans likely had nervous thoughts while sitting in the Olympic Kosevo Stadium, which just weeks ago was far too dangerous in which to set foot.

Next door to the devastated ice skating rink, also built for the 1984 Winter Olympics, the stadium and its soccer game resembled a scene from the movie "Apocalypse Now," when a soldier goes surfing while war rages.

But Sarajevo's cease-fire held throughout the game, and the wildest moments came only from a loud and boisterous group of young fans.

The match was the idea of British Lt. Gen. Sir Michael Rose, the U.N. force commander, and was organized by Capt. Nicholas Costello.

"The general said to me, 'Is there a football team in Sarajevo?' I said, 'Yes, there is,' " Captain Costello recalled. "That was three weeks ago, and here we are.

"It's slightly more than a match," he said. "It's quite a spectacular event."

General Rose said: "We see here today in the Kosevo football stadium yet another step on the path toward normal, peaceful living. And we hope that what we achieve here will bring . . . the normal life that everybody wants to lead."

North Atlantic Treaty Organization fighter jets flew overhead during the game, helicopters whirled, and U.N. soldiers stood atop the stadium's burned-out walls with automatic weapons in hand.

At one point, four paratroopers landed in the middle of the field as thousands cheered.

One of them, a Norwegian, later said he never thought of the Serbian snipers who probably had him in their sights.

"I just thought of the sky dive," he said. "Just the fun of it."

The event was a far cry from life in Sarajevo only weeks ago -- before a U.N. ultimatum and Russian diplomacy persuaded the Serbs to move their big guns from surrounding hills.

Ever since, Bosnia's three-sided ethnic war has been relatively quiet, although scattered fighting still occurs among Croats, Serbs and Muslims.

The game "was a risk. Of course it's a risk," Captain Costello conceded.

Still, he expressed confidence that the cease-fire would hold -- at least until the match was over.

"I received a letter from [Bosnian Serb leader] Dr. [Radovan] Karadzic this morning, giving his assurances that nothing would happen," Captain Costello said. "He was very pleased it was going on. He said himself: The Sarajevo team should return to what it was."

Captain Costello's immediate fear was how poorly his fellow U.N. troops would fare against the Sarajevans, even though Sarejevo's 'B' team was playing.

The U.N. team, made up of British, Dutch, French, Russian, Ukrainian and Egyptian soldiers, lost, 4-0.

Zlatko Ilic, a Bosnian army soldier , said, "I had some friends who were shot right there," pointing down to the field. "Now we're here at a game. It's unbelievable. . . . I can't explain what I'm feeling."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.