Slaying suspect arrested on return to city

March 21, 1994|By Norris P. West | Norris P. West,Sun Staff Writer

A suspect in the slaying of a Baltimore County man rode a train home to Baltimore yesterday, and found homicide detectives waiting for him at Pennsylvania Station.

The detectives, who had received a tip that their suspect in the killing of a man found dead in a car trunk last week would be on the train, grabbed and handcuffed 40-year-old Donald McNeil as he stepped onto the station's main concourse.

Mr. McNeil said he had intended to surrender to police. As he was marched out of the train station, he vowed to prove he was not involved in the stabbing death of Harry Brown Jr., 63, a retired Defense Department commissary worker from the county's Milford Mill section.

"I would like to make an interview [with police]," said Mr. McNeil, of the 3000 block of Virginia Ave. in the city's Pimlico section.

"I'm turning myself in because I'm tired of my family being subjected to this embarrassment. I'd like to set the record straight," he said.

Several homicide detectives and at least two uniformed police officers were waiting for Mr. McNeil to arrive. They checked photographs while looking at passengers leaving the northbound Silver Star, which arrived about 4:45 p.m. -- nearly half an hour late.

As he stepped off a stairway leading up from the track, three detectives grabbed him, ordered him to his knees and took the green garbage bag and plastic-covered suit jacket he was carrying.

Mr. McNeil's brother and father also were waiting at the station when the train arrived. They said they had planned to accompany him to the police station and were surprised to see officers waiting for him.

"He called me and told me he was coming down to turn himself in," said Clarence McNeil Jr., his brother.

The brother said Mr. McNeil called him from an unknown location to say he was on a short trip. He said he talked to his brother last week about the death of Mr. Brown.

"I told him he needed to come in and straighten this out if he didn't have any involvement," he said.

Mr. McNeil was charged last night with first-degree murder -- the second person to be jailed in the case.

Connie Bridges, 30, of the 2600 block of Puget St., who also was charged in Mr. Brown's death, told a District Court commissioner Saturday that Donald McNeil is her boyfriend and the father of her child. Miss Bridges had been having an affair with Mr. Brown, according to a son of the victim.

Mr. Brown's body was found last Monday in the trunk of his 1990 Chrysler New Yorker, parked in the 400 block of W. Preston St. An autopsy revealed he had been stabbed to death.

He had been missing for three days from his home in the 7000 block of Queen Anne Road. Before leaving his home for the last time, he told his daughter that he was going to meet Miss Bridges.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.