Cab driver shot, badly wounded during carjacking

March 21, 1994|By Norris P. West | Norris P. West,Sun Staff Writer

A city man was arrested yesterday on charges of critically wounding a cab driver during a carjacking. Police said he also exchanged two shots with a police officer and led police on a chase through the streets of Northeast Baltimore.

Kevin S. Jackson, 37, of the 1200 block of North Ave., was charged with two counts of assault with intent to kill. Police said he shot cabbie Norman W. Lennon, 56, of the 9800 block of Tolworth Circle in Randallstown about 2:15 p.m. yesterday.

Witnesses told police that a man pulled Mr. Lennon from his cab at 33rd Street and Loch Raven Boulevard.

Officer Penny Sprinkle, of the Northern Police District, on patrol in the area, heard a gunshot and saw a man lying on the ground near a cab, said Lt. Charles Milland, the district's shift commander. He said the officer saw the man's body twitch as if he had been shot.

"She withdrew her 9-mm Glock and pointed it in the direction of the cab," Lieutenant Milland said. He said the gunman commandeered the cab and drove the car toward the officer and pointed a gun at her through the window.

"She let two rounds go at the cab," he said. "One hit the right rear quarter panel. The suspect fired two rounds at her." Neither the officer nor the man was hit.

The lieutenant said the gunman sped away with officers tracking him over the police radio. He lost control of the cab at Washington Street and Sinclair Lane and smashed into a retaining wall, wrecking the vehicle, the lieutenant said.

Officer Keith Harrison, of the Northeastern Police District, arrested Mr. Jackson and took him to Mercy Hospital for treatment of a cut to his left hand and pain in his leg.

Mr. Lennon, the cab driver, was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in critical condition. He suffered gunshot wounds to the face and arm.

Mr. Jackson was charged last night with two counts of assault with intent to kill, and one count each of armed carjacking, use of a handgun in the commission of a felony and reckless endangerment.

He was being held by Northern District police.

Lieutenant Milland said hospital officials expect Mr. Lennon to survive the shooting but are concerned that he may suffer paralysis.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.