Bail denied suspect in slaying

March 20, 1994|By Mary Maushard | Mary Maushard,Sun Staff Writer

A city woman wanted in the fatal stabbing of a former Defense Department worker whose body was found in his car's trunk was ordered held without bail on a first-degree murder charge yesterday after surrendering to police.

Connie Bridges, 30, of the 2600 block of Puget St. in Southwest Baltimore surrendered to city homicide detectives Friday evening.

She is charged in the death of Harry Brown Jr., 63. A son of Mr. Brown's told police Miss Bridges was having an affair with his father.

bTC Donald McNeil, 40, of the 3000 block of Virginia Ave. in Pimlico also is wanted in Mr. Brown's death and remained at large yesterday.

Miss Bridges said Mr. McNeil is her boyfriend and the father of her child.

Warrants for the couple's arrests were issued Friday.

Charging documents in Miss Bridges' case reported that one of Mr. McNeil's fingerprints was on the trunk of Mr. Brown's car when police found it.

During a hearing yesterday, Miss Bridges told Court Commissioner Gloria D. Tripline that before going to police, she "did what she had to do" -- arrange for her 10-year-old son's care.

Mr. Brown was missing from his home in the 7000 block of Queen Anne Road in Randallstown for about three days before his body was found Monday night in the trunk of his 1990 Chrysler New Yorker parked on Preston Street in the city.

An autopsy revealed he died of multiple stab wounds.

Police had been looking for Miss Bridges since they found identification papers for her and Mr. Brown, as well as a broken knife and a large quantity of blood on a bridge in the 2100 block of Wicomico St. a few hours after Mr. Brown left home, according to the charging documents.

Police investigating that discovery went to Miss Bridges' Puget Street address to see if anyone there had been injured.

While police were in the house, Miss Bridges phoned there, spoke with the investigating officer and agreed to meet him.

But, charging documents say, she never showed up and was not seen again until she surrendered.

The documents also said that an unidentified witness who overheard Miss Bridges' telephone conversation reported to police that after she ended the conversation, she told Mr. McNeil, whom she referred to as her husband: "We have to move that [expletive]." The couple then headed toward a black-colored car, the documents reported.

Mr. Brown's Chrysler was maroon.

The documents said that earlier the same evening, Miss Bridges called Mr. Brown's wife, saying she had seen Mr. Brown and Mr. McNeil about 7 p.m. Friday. The two men were riding in Mr. Brown's car, the documents said.

Mr. Brown retired in July after 30 years as a commissary worker for the Defense Department at Fort Meade.

Court documents say that his son Donovan told police his father was having an affair with Miss Bridges and was going to meet her when he left home between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. March 11.

Central District police found the car in the 400 block of W. Preston St. near McCulloh Street about 11 p.m. Monday.

Police said an officer had noticed blood dripping from the trunk onto the street.

The car was towed to the police headquarters garage, where Mr. Brown's body was found.

Mr. Brown's face had been slashed with a sharp object and he had suffered what appeared to be a stab wound to the stomach, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.