Missing man's body is found in his car trunk

March 15, 1994|By Richard Irwin and Michael James | Richard Irwin and Michael James,Sun Staff Writers

A body of a man found inside the trunk of a 1990 Chrysler New Yorker parked in the 400 block of W. Preston St. late last night has been identified as that of Harry Brown Jr., a 63-year-old retired Department of Defense worker missing since Friday.

When last seen Friday evening, Mr. Brown told his daughter, Donna, he was going to meet a woman, Connie Bridges, 30, of the 2600 block of Puget St. in southwest Baltimore, with whom he had some kind of relationship, police said.

He never returned.

Ms. Bridges and her boyfriend, Donald McNeil, 40, of the 3000 block of Virginia Ave. in Pimlico, are both being sought for questioning in the man's death.

Central District police found the car parked in the 400 block of W. Preston St. near McCulloh Street about 11 p.m.

Officer Brian Pedrick said that blood was dripping from the floor of the trunk onto the ground and that he and other officers recognized the Chrysler as the one being sought.

He said whoever reported the car parked on the street apparently recognized it as belonging to Mr. Brown.

The car was towed to the police headquarters garage.

There, a crime lab technician using a pry tool opened the trunk.

In the trunk, Officer Pedrick said, was the fully clothed body of Mr. Brown, whose face had been slashed with a sharp object and who had sustained what appeared to be a stab wound to the stomach.

"From a preliminary examination of the body," said homicide detective Marvin Sydnor, "it appears Mr. Brown was stabbed to death."

Detective Sydnor said an autopsy was to be done later today to determine the exact cause of death and when the man died.

Police said Mr. Brown, a diabetic with failing eyesight, left his home in the 7000 block of Queen Anne Road in Randallstown between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Friday to meet Ms. Bridges at an unknown location and for an unspecified reason.

Police described Ms. Bridges as an acquaintance of Mr. Brown, but said they didn't know the nature of their relationship.

About two hours after Mr. Brown left his home, a city police officer -- investigating a complaint of blood on a wooden bridge in the 2100 block of Wicomico St. in south Baltimore -- found Mr. Brown's wallet, glasses and part of a knife blade on a bridge, police said. All were splattered with blood.

Detective Sydnor said blood taken from the bridge would be compared with Mr. Brown's to determine if he was killed at or near the bridge.

Since the slain man's family filed a missing person report with the Baltimore County police, area police departments have been looking for the man and his car.

Mr. Brown's picture appeared in local newspapers and on TV. His family was interviewed by the media.

When the blood and the man's personal property were found, the city homicide squad entered the case.

One of Mr. Brown's credit cards was missing from his wallet, prompting detectives to investigate the incident as a possible robbery.

Mr. Brown, who had no criminal record, retired in June from his job at the U.S. Department of Defense in Fort Meade. He had six children and six grandchildren, family members said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.