Loyola makes UNC 0-2

March 13, 1994|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,Sun Staff Writer

One year ago today, the Loyola lacrosse team played at North Carolina. The Greyhounds avoided the Storm of the Century that buried Baltimore and much of the Northeast, but they didn't exactly enjoy their getaway to Chapel Hill, where they were pelted by a 17-8 count and a freezing rain.

The teams met again yesterday at Curley Field, and Loyola's disposition was as bright as the sky after a 14-12 victory. A crowd of 3,755 watched the opener of the Lax World Faceoff Classic.

It was the third straight time Loyola (3-0) beat North Carolina at Curley Field, and 12-year coach Dave Cottle can get the 100th victory of his career and a pretty good USILA ranking by beating Rutgers next Saturday. The Greyhounds were No. 6 and the Tar Heels No. 2 in the preseason rankings.

North Carolina, which lost its opener to Syracuse in a rematch of last year's NCAA title game, dropped to 0-2 for the first time since 1977.

"We knew North Carolina would be up, but this was not about them, it was about us," said Tim McGeeney, the junior goalie from North County who had 20 saves. "You don't know how well-prepared we were for this game."

When assistant coach Bill Dirrigl scouted North Carolina at Syracuse on March 5, he saw the Orangemen outscore the Tar Heels 7-1 in the fourth quarter. He also saw North Carolina convert only one of 14 extra-man situations, and three times before practice last week, the Greyhounds' defense met for a half hour to go over their man-down strategy.

The result? North Carolina converted none of its six extra-man situations.

For the second straight week, the Tar Heels faded. They led 9-7 two minutes into the third quarter on a goal by freshman Spencer Deering (Friends), but the Greyhounds outscored them the rest of the way.

Loyola scored four straight for an 11-9 lead, but goals by Jon Speers and Kyle Durkee (St. Paul's) tied it with 12:42 to go. The Greyhounds then beat the Tar Heels at their own game: transition. Sophomore defenseman Brendan Fry left two Tar Heels on the turf with a nifty clear, which led to Sean Heffernan (Dulaney) assisting Kevin Lutz (Boys' Latin) on the goal that put the Greyhounds on top for good with 11:34 to go.

Derek Radebaugh (Boys' Latin) scooped the rebound of a shot by Lutz and made it 13-11. Ryan Wade, North Carolina's nonpareil midfielder from Severn, cut it to 13-12 with 9:07 left, and the extra-man imbalance crept up one last time. North Carolina wasted its advantage with less than four minutes to go, and Heffernan got a man-up clincher with 1:13 to go.

The Greyhounds, who replaced Kevin Beach and his 114 career goals by committee, got four goals and an assist from Radebaugh; three goals from Lutz, who missed last season recuperating from reconstructive ankle surgery; two goals and an assist from midfielder Del Halladay; and a goal and three assists from Heffernan.

Speers, Durkee and Wade, who is one of two returning starters for North Carolina, had two goals each. Outshot 45-41, the Tar Heels got 14 saves from junior Rocco D'Andraia. A transfer from Rutgers, his only previous college start was two years ago, when the Scarlet Knights were bombed by Johns Hopkins, 18-3.

"We have to play harder and tougher and better," said Tar Heels coach Dave Klarmann, who has seven losses in his four seasons, three to Syracuse and two to Loyola. "We did a lot of things poorly. We played very weak man-to-man defense, and they [Loyola] played harder against our attack."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.