Man, pets die in motel fire

March 13, 1994|By From Staff Reports

A 24-year-old man and his dog and cat died yesterday morning in a fire in an Elkridge motel room, Howard County fire officials reported.

When firefighters opened the door of a ground-floor room at Hall's Motel in the 6700 block of Washington Blvd. about 10:50 a.m., they found Michael Woods Jr. on the floor, said Sgt. Robert Wiseman, a Fire Department spokesman.

Mr. Woods was pronounced dead at the scene. The fire was confined to Mr. Woods' room, but officials said they did not know where or how it started.

Officials said that Debbie Garretson, 38, of the 4300 block of Alan Drive in Baltimore tried to save Mr. Woods but was overcome by smoke.

Ms. Garretson was in fair condition at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center last night, officials said.

Jim Roberts, the motel owner, estimated damage to the room at about $15,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.