Selig unsure if baseball will probe reports of Doubleday remarks

March 12, 1994|By New York Times News Service

NEW YORK -- Bud Selig, the acting baseball commissioner, said yesterday that he did not know whether Major League Baseball would look into reports that one of the New York Mets owners, Nelson Doubleday, had made anti-Semitic remarks.

Selig said he had only read news accounts of the alleged remarks and so could not comment on them.

A new book about the business of baseball, "Lords of the Realm" by John Helyar, a Wall Street Journal reporter, attributes an anti-Semitic quotation to Doubleday, and a former Met employee also said he had heard Doubleday make such comments occasionally during his tenure with the team.

MA Doubleday, in a statement released by the team, denied making

the comment attributed to him in the book, and Fred Wilpon, the Mets' co-owner, who is Jewish, has vigorously defended his partner, saying, "People that know Nelson know that's not the way Nelson feels."

Arthur Richman, a former traveling secretary for the Mets and now a consultant with the New York Yankees, said Thursday night that he often heard Doubleday make anti-Semitic comments.

In a contentious parting, Richman was let go by the Mets before the 1989 season.

Last year, baseball suspended Cincinnati Reds owner Marge Schott for one year after it was revealed she had made racially and ethnically disparaging remarks about her employees.

=1 She was allowed to return after eight months.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.