Springbrook holds off Glen Burnie, 66-64

March 11, 1994|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,Sun Staff Writer

COLLEGE PARK -- Top-seeded Springbrook hung on to post a 66-64 victory over No. 4 seed Glen Burnie in the state 4A semifinals last night at Cole Field House.

The Gophers (20-5) of Terry Bogle, who was making his first trip to the final four in his 26 years as a head coach, staged an incredible second-half rally only to come up short.

Senior point guard William Brown missed a shot in the paint in the final four seconds after Shawn Mahaney lit up in the second half.

Mahaney, who led 4th-ranked Glen Burnie with a game-high 22 points (only two in the first half) and was 6-for-7 from long distance, was one short of the state tournament single-game record for three-pointers. Westmar's Mac Sloan made seven in last year's tournament.

Springbrook (22-2), a loser to Meade in last year's semifinals, advanced to tomorrow's title game at 8 p.m. vs. top-ranked Southern-Baltimore, which romped past Crossland, 71-55, in the other semifinal.

The Gophers' downfall proved to be a superb game by Devils 6-4 junior center Aaron Harrod (nine points, eight rebounds), who tamed 6-6 Marquise Farmer underneath.

Farmer (six points, five rebounds) came in averaging 12 points and eight rebounds and did not score until the final period.

"Aaron played one heck of a ballgame," said Springbrook coach Bob Cilento. "We double backed down on Farmer and denied him the ball and offensive rebounds. But we ran out of speed and gas in the second half and held on."

Glen Burnie was down 42-26 at the half and shaved off only one point in the third period. The Blue Devils started the final period with a 56-41 lead but were outscored 23-10 in the final eight minutes.

Mahaney, a 6-2 senior, bombed in three three-pointers in each of the third and fourth periods to ignite the comeback. His fourth ZTC three-pointer to start the last period pulled Glen Burnie within 12 and his fifth cut the deficit to 58-52 with five minutes to go.

Springbrook's Shakil Brew (team-high 20 points) hit a short jumper to make it 60-52 but two free throws by Jeff Dickerson cut it to six.

After two Springbrook free throws, Mahaney's sixth and final three-pointer cut it to 62-57 with three minutes left.

A three-point play by Farmer (six points) with 1:42 left made it a four-point game, 65-61. Three free throws by Rocky Newton (17 points) and Farmer made it 65-64 with 25 seconds left.

Mahaney stole the inbounds pass and commited a charging foul, but the Gophers got it right back on a traveling call. Brown's pass to Rocky Newton (17 points) was stolen by Brew and he was fouled.

Brew hit the first of two to make it 66-64 , but missed the back end and Farmer grabbed the rebound with 16 seconds on the clock.

Going for the last shot, Brown drove into a clogged up lane and did not get off a good shot. The ball bounced around on the floor before the buzzer sounded.

The Gophers shot just 38 percent (11-for-29) in the first half, the Devils 71 percent. The Gophers hit only five of 16 in the first period, but three were from three-point range.

As a result of Glen Burnie's three-point shooting, it only trailed just 19-14 at the end of the first period.

The Blue Devils couldn't miss in the second period as they closed with an 11-2 run to boost their lead to 42-24. Andre Bryan hit the final bucket of the half for Glen Burnie to send the Gophers to intermission behind 42-26.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.