Firefighter's home damaged in Patapsco blaze

March 11, 1994|By Bill Talbott | Bill Talbott,Sun Staff Writer

The 75-year-old Patapsco home of a volunteer firefighter was extensively damaged when a wood stove overheated and ignited the wood around the chimney yesterday.

Scott Taylor, a member of the Reese Volunteer Fire Company, bought the 2 1/2 -story house from his father several months ago.

He was at work in Cockeysville and went home after receiving a telephone call from family members.

The fire was discovered about 11 a.m. by an employee of a nearby general store, who saw smoke coming from the rear of the house in the 1500 block of Wesley Road.

Engines from Reese, Westminster and Hampstead were dispatched, and firefighters confined the fire to a strip along the rear wall from the basement through the dining room and to the bedroom above it.

A wood stove in the basement of the house apparently overheated the chimney and ignited the surrounding wood.

The metal chimney was next to the wood with no ventilation space between, an investigator said.

No one was injured in the fire.

Firefighters used portable gasoline saws to cut along the path of the fire to keep it from spreading throughout the house.

Family members who live nearby came to the burning building to assist as the volunteers extinguished the fire.

Firefighters remained at the scene for about 90 minutes.

No estimate of the damage was immediately available.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.