Church window being restored

March 11, 1994|By Edward Gunts | Edward Gunts,Sun Staff Writer

A giant stained glass window in the chancel of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Baltimore, the building's visual centerpiece for 92 years, was being shipped to Massachusetts today for a much-needed restoration.

The opalescent window, depicting the glorification of God, is being repaired under a $500,000 interior restoration project that began last fall at the 138-year-old church, known as Old St. Paul's, at Charles and Saratoga streets. The vestry plans a fund drive to help pay for the work.

Installed in 1902, the window was designed and fabricated in six sections by Maitland Armstrong Studio, then one of the nation's top makers of stained glass. It was removed because the top sections were resting on the lower sections, and one of the lower sections had begun to buckle.

When the window is reinstalled, each section will be mounted within a new metal "superstructure" designed so they will no longer rest on each other -- and can be removed more easily in the future.

Cummings Studios of North Adams, Mass., is restoring the window at a cost of about $170,000. The firm's crew of seven used a mechanical winch yesterday to remove each section of the window from above the altar. The largest sections are 4 feet high by 12 feet long.

Tidewater Restoration Inc. of Fredericksburg, Va., is the general contractor for the entire project.

The window is expected back in time for Christmas.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.