Panthers struggle again Key finishes strong 3rd

March 06, 1994|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Sun Staff Writer

This was like the final straw in the final season for North Carroll wrestling coach Dick Bauerlein.

After failing to win a state wrestling tournament championship in 19 years at the Hampstead school, a totally frustrated Bauerlein said yesterday: "Maybe it's the site [Western Maryland College]. Maybe we ought to move the tournament."

That was the only answer Bauerlein, who is retiring, could come up with yesterday to the latest strain of bad luck for the Panthers in the state 1A-2A tournament.

This time around, North Carroll didn't place one wrestler in the finals and fell to fifth place with 51 points behind first-place finisher Damascus.

Damascus had 93.5 points to edge defending champion Northeast (93) by a half-point.

In contrast, county rival Francis Scott Key surprised a lot of people and nailed down three individual state championships.

Randy Owings won his second straight at 135, Chris Beale shocked a lot of people with a state title at 140, and Zac Yinger won handily at 145.

Owings decisioned Dunbar's Hernandez Thompson, 5-0, Beale decisioned Northeast's Steve Smiddy, 8-2, and Yinger sailed to a 10-3 decision over Lackey's Ryan Hersey.

Key took third place with 69.5 points.

"The bigger the tournament, it's up to the individuals to step forward and our kids did," said Key coach Bill Hyson. "It was a good ending for us. We're like a bad penny. We keep coming back."

Second-ranked and state 1A-2A dual-meet champion North Carroll had blitzed the eighth-ranked Eagles twice in dual meets this season.

But not yesterday as first Doug Dell, then Tommy Kiler and finally Chris Boog went down to defeat in the semifinals.

Dell wasn't feeling well and lost to Northeast's Marty Kusick, 5-1, in the 112-pound semis; Kiler lost a tough 10-9 decision to Dunbar's Thompson at 135 pounds, and Boog was beaten in overtime in a bout he would have won in regulation if a scorekeeper had marked down a penalty point against Wilde Lake's Mike Green.

With 20 seconds left in regulation, the referee gave Green a penalty point for stalling but the point was not registered on the scorer's sheet and Boog was left with a tie instead of an win.

"They ripped me off," said Boog.

"I don't care who says anything else, that is what happened. I was so upset in overtime that I let him [Green] take me down. It seems like things never change up here in this state tournament for us. Something is always going wrong."

Bauerlein said: "The referee verbally gave me the penalty point against Green but no one wrote it down. We thought we had that match won."

Boog said the verbal awarding of the point is on videotape but "they said they couldn't change the score because it wasn't written down."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.