Bank account set up for victims of fire in Sykesville

March 06, 1994|By Mary Gail Hare | Mary Gail Hare,Sun Staff Writer

A Sykesville family whose home was destroyed in a fire last Sunday may receive help from their neighbors, friends and the Town Council.

"I would surely want to know someone would help my family in a situation like this," said Councilman Eugene Johnson.

Sykesville officials voted last week to open an account at Union National Bank in the name of Nancy Smith and her son, Michael Smith. Although the council declined to contribute town money to the fund, several council members said they planned to make personal contributions.

"We had people who wanted to contribute even before we opened the account," said branch manager Karon Deatherage. "Now, they can come into any branch to make a deposit into the account."

Mr. Smith, who was alone in the Church Street home he shared with his mother, spilled fuel onto an unvented operating space heater and the floor. The fuel ignited, and fire spread quickly from the living room throughout the house.

Mr. Smith escaped unharmed. The two-story frame house, valued at about $100,000, was destroyed.

"It was an awesome, frightening experience," said Councilman Jonathan Herman. "The house was engulfed in flames almost immediately, and there was enormous smoke. Surrounding houses and Main Street were really vulnerable."

Mr. Herman praised the nearly 50 firefighters from five Carroll and Howard County volunteer companies who responded to the fire.

"It was rewarding to see we have such good response ability in the county," he said. "I would like to publicly thank the volunteers for responding in such a timely manner."

Union National Bank is accepting donations in the name of Nancy Smith at 7564 Main St. or any other branch. Information: (410) 795-0220.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.