Howard turns tables on Mount Hebron, 37-29

March 05, 1994|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,Sun Staff Writer

Mount Hebron's reputation as a girls basketball powerhouse intimidates many of its opponents.

But unranked Howard (13-11), which had lost to the Vikings twice this season by 17 and 13 points, wouldn't let that intimidation be a factor yesterday in the Class 3A East regional semifinal at Mount Hebron.

Led by Emily Moore (12 points), Mona Jackson (11 points) and Yamika Blackston (10 points), the sixth-seeded Lions upset second-seeded Mount Hebron, 37-29.

It was the third straight season that the No. 6-ranked Vikings have lost in the regionals to a Howard County team they had beaten twice.

Howard will face top-seeded Poly today in the regional final.

"I've never seen our team this happy," Moore said. "It's been an up-and-down season for us. But this makes our whole season."

Said Jackson, who missed the second quarter after injuring her knee but played a strong second half: "We decided that Mount Hebron was just another team that we could beat."

Howard's aggressive man-to-man defense affected Mount Hebron's shooting.

"We didn't want to give up any set shots or three-point shots," Howard coach Craig O'Connell said.

Mount Hebron (15-7) did not make a three-pointer the entire game and shot only 10 percent (3-for-30) from the field in the first half.

One of the keys was Megan Boehm's defense on Mount Hebron center Rachel Cimmier, who made only one of 12 shots.

Howard also shot poorly in the first half, hitting just three of 22. But the Lions led at halftime, 9-7, after trailing 3-1 after the first quarter.

"The key to the game was our missing so many easy shots in the first half," Mount Hebron coach Dave Greenberg said. "It's pretty frustrating. We just didn't get the job done."

Jackson gave Howard its biggest lead, 27-19, early in the fourth quarter by putting in a rebound. Mount Hebron scored the next seven points, as its press gave Howard problems.

With 3:45 left, Moore's rebound basket put Howard ahead 29-26. Kathy Doyle's long shot cut it to one.

Howard then called time to settle down. On the next possession, the Lions got three shots at the basket before Blackston's rebound shot fell.

Blackston then stole a pass off the press and scored a layup, giving the Lions a 33-28 lead with 1:27 left.

"That was the biggest play of the game," Jackson said. "It loosened us up again."

"We thought we were the more athletic team and hoped we could get them fatigued," O'Connell said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.