Sabers sail past Warriors, 73-51

March 05, 1994|By Bob Clark | Bob Clark,Special to The Sun

Haywood Eaddy is back, and No. 7 Southwestern is still in the hunt for a 4A state championship.

Eaddy, the 5-foot-7 senior point guard, showed he was at full strength after missing most of the past three weeks with a hairline fracture in his foot, as he led the Sabers past No. 5 Woodlawn, 73-51, in a semifinal of the Class 4A North Region at UMBC last night.

The Sabers (19-4) will meet No. 1-ranked Southern, an 81-63 winner over No. 4 Lake Clifton, tonight at 7 at UMBC. The Sabers and Bulldogs split their two games during the regular season.

Eaddy told coach Terry Leverette that he was ready to go, and then he scored 12 of his 23 points in the second quarter as the Sabers broke away from the Baltimore County champion Warriors (20-2).

"I had to go with him," said Leverette. "He's the reason we're here. And after this game I do believe he's back, and it couldn't have come at a more opportune time."

Eaddy also handed out nine assists. Kevin Waters scored 10 points for the Sabers and pulled down 20 rebounds. Guy Butler led Woodlawn with 23.

After connecting on only four of 18 from the field in the first quarter and finding themselves down just 13-12 the Sabers were much more accurate in the second quarter, and the stingy

defense started to pay dividends.

A three-pointer by Eaddy moved Southwestern ahead 19-17 midway in the second quarter. And then a three-pointer by Kevin Waters started the spurt that put the Sabers in command.

Waters' basket opened a 24-18 Sabers lead, but more importantly it began a 12-0 run by Southwestern.

On the ensuing Woodlawn possession, a technical foul was called on the Warriors bench. Eaddy made both free throws, and with the next possession Eaddy pumped in a three-pointer and suddenly the lead was 29-18 with 1:27 left in the half.

Eaddy then fed Donny Joy (13 points) for a layup and Joy added two free throws, and Southwestern had a 33-18 lead just before the half.

"I thought it was a very competitive game, except for that spurt," said Woodlawn coach Rod Norris, whose only other loss this season came to another city power, Dunbar. "You've got to give [Southwestern] credit. That team plays very hard."

The teams traded baskets before halftime, and Woodlawn trailed 35-20 while going only 2-for-16 from the field in the second quarter and 8-for-33 for the half.

"It's the defense that did it for us," said Leverette. "We play pressure D and if the kids do what they're supposed to, it's very difficult."

Woodlawn cut into the 15-point deficit in the third quarter but never got closer than 47-39 with 1:19 left in the third quarter.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.