Jones' 3-pointer at buzzer boosts Douglass in OT

March 04, 1994|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,Contributing Writer

Before his team took the floor for last night's Class 3A, East Region semifinal, Broadneck coach Ken Kazmarek said Douglass was "very similar to the teams we faced during the regular season. Their up-tempo style isn't something we haven't seen or aren't prepared for."

Judging by last night's performance, the top-seeded Bruins were ready for anything the Ducks had to offer.

But it still wasn't enough.

A three-pointer at the buzzer by freshman guard Alfonso Jones ended the suspense and gave visiting Doug-lass a 64-61 overtime victory and a berth in tomorrow's region final. The fifth-seeded Ducks will visit the winner of tonight's Poly-Mount Hebron game to determine who goes to Cole Field House.

"This was a tremendous outing and I'm excited for the kids and for myself because this is as far as we've been able to go in a long time and no one expected too much out of us because we were the fifth seed," said Douglass coach John Nash. "Broadneck is a tremendous team and I take nothing from them. We won, yes, but they are an outstanding group of young men."

The Bruins (16-6), who moved down to Class 3A this season after advancing to the 4A region semifinals last season, showcased Jason Smith.

The 6-foot-2 junior guard exhibited a variety of skills in the opening minutes as he scored the Bruins' first nine points on two field goals, a three-pointer and two foul shots. The Bruins increased the lead to 11-3 with 4:25 left in the opening quarter after a strong move to the basket by John Williams (six points).

The Ducks (11-9), who would have reached the Class 3A region '' semifinals last year had they not used an ineligible player in their quarterfinal win over Centennial, pulled back within two on Vernon Foster's two follow-ups and were within 14-13 after Alfonso Jones completed a four-point play when he was fouled by Williams while making a shot outside of the arc.

Smith, who finished with a game-high 28 points, closed out the first quarter with a three-pointer at the buzzer that gave him his first 12 points and his team a 19-15 lead.

Douglass took control of the contest as Jones and backcourt mate Robert Smith (19 points) combined to help the Ducks secure a 37-30 halftime lead.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.