Sabers top Edmondson, 92-56

March 02, 1994|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,Contributing Writer

Edmondson needed a victory over Patterson in its regular-season finale last Friday to secure a spot in the state 4A tournament.

The Redskins got it, but for the first round of the tournament, they drew No. 7 Southwestern, which had done its best to thwart the Redskins' playoff hopes, beating them twice last week.

Yesterday, the Sabers ended Edmondson's season with a 92-56 triumph in a state 4A North Region quarterfinal game.

Senior forward Aaron Joy scored 20 points for Southwestern, which had 13 players score.

"We came out pressing them and we did a good job," said Joy, who is 6-feet-5. "We wanted to get on them early and start getting ready for Thursday."

The Sabers (17-4) advance to tomorrow's night semifinals at UMBC, where they will face No. 5 Woodlawn, the second seed at 6.

It will be the second straight appearance in the regional semifinals for Southwestern. Last season, it was defeated by eventual statechampion Southern-Baltimore, in the state 3A regionals.

Four weeks ago, the Sabers avenged that loss, stunning the Bulldogs, who were ranked No. 2 in the nation by USA Today and No. 1 in the area, 72-71.

But the Sabers' biggest victory in seasons, in some ways, became their worst nightmare.

Winners of its first 13 games, Southwestern lost its next four. The fourth setback, a 58-55 loss to Calvert Hall, appeared to be more costly when point guard Haywood Eaddy suffered a hairline fracture in his right ankle.

Eaddy, the Sabers' leading scorer, was thought to be gone for the remainder of the season. Yesterday, the 5-foot-8 senior returned, scoring five points in limited action in the second half.

"He really wanted to get into the game earlier," said Southwestern coach Terry Leverett. "I didn't want to rush him, but he didn't show any real signs of pain."

From the opening tip, Southwestern was in command, leading 47-29 at halftime. In the third quarter, the Sabers outscored the Redskins (11-10) 29-13 extending the lead to 76-42.

"I don't think we played great today," said Leverett. "We still are making unforced turnovers, but I'm pleased with how focused we were coming out today."

In their first meeting last Tuesday, Southwestern built a 12-point lead after three quarters, then held off the Redskins in the final quarter for a 71-68 victory. Thursday, the Sabers outscored Edmondson, 99-83, getting 31 points from Joy.

The Sabers' defense held Terrell Smith of Edmondson, who scored 28 and 23 points, respectively, in the two games last week, to only two yesterday. James Sumpter led the Redskins with 15, and Antonio Sullivan contributed 14.

"We didn't play well at all the first time around," said Leverett. "The next time, the kids began to realize that Haywood may not be coming back and they responded."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.