Mount St. Mary's rallies, puts away Marist, 113-91

February 25, 1994|By Gary Lambrecht | Gary Lambrecht,Sun Staff Writer

EMMITSBURG -- For the first 18 minutes last night, Mount St. Mary's played like a fading team with a three-game winning streak. The Mountaineers still may be having trouble believing what they did after that.

After falling 12 points behind Marist with 2:30 left in the first half, the Mountaineers put together a furious rally that didn't stop until they had run Marist out of Knott Arena with a stunning, 113-91 victory before 1,593.

The Mountaineers (13-12, 9-8), who have been unpredictable all season, played their wildest game of the year last night. They are in a four-way tie for fifth place in the Northeast Conference with one home game left against Fairleigh Dickinson, before heading into next week's conference tournament.

The Mountaineers, who scored 75 points in the final 22 minutes, produced their highest offensive output since moving to Division I six years ago. The points came from everywhere, most notably senior guard Doug John.

John, who received his first start of the season as a courtesy gesture from coach Jim Phelan in honor of Senior Night, made his coach look like a genius. John scored a career-high 23 points, including 16 points in the final 11 minutes, when the Mountaineers put away the Red Foxes (13-12, 9-8).

"I'm trying to go out in style, I guess," said John, who played at DeMatha. "I've been feeling good for the past month. I felt like I was going to explode sooner or later, and I know time is running out."

John turned the lights out on Marist with an 8-for-11 shooting performance. Mount St. Mary's burned Marist inside and outside equally. They made 42 of 70 shots (60 percent), including 22-for-32 (68.8 percent) in the second half. They also converted 11 of 21 three-point attempts (52.4 percent).

Next in line after John was sophomore guard Chris McGuthrie, who played like the team's leading scorer. He scored 23 points on 8-for-14 shooting, added a career-high 10 assists and committed only two turnovers in 39 minutes. Sophomore guard Riley Inge added 15 points, eight assists, went 3-for-3 from three-point range. Junior forward Michael Watson added 13 points.

The Mountaineers also won handily on a night when they were out-rebounded, 39-30, missed seven of their first eight foul shots, and allowed forward Izett Buchanan (game-high 31 points), center Alan Tomidy (27 points) and guard Danny Basile (22) to combine for 80 points.

Marist took a 10-9 lead, then extended it to 50-38 by working inside to the 6-foot-11 Tomidy. But in the final two minutes of the half, Inge hit two three-pointers to ignite a 12-2 run that pulled Mount St. Mary's to within 52-50 at halftime.

"I told them at halftime to sit down and say a prayer, because we had absolutely no business being that close," Phelan said. "At that point, though, being at home, I felt it was our game."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.