Man charged in knifing of son breaking up fight

February 22, 1994|By Amy L. Miller | Amy L. Miller,Sun Staff Writer LTC

A 52-year-old Westminster man has been arrested and accused of stabbing his teen-age son after the youth tried to stop a dispute between his parents.

Westminster police said James W. Heinemann Sr., of the 700 block of Johahn Drive, had been arguing with his wife, Almeda Heinemann, Sunday night.

Police said he allegedly hit her on the side of the head with his open hand. The couple's son, James W. Heinemann Jr., 18, had separated the two when his father pulled a pocket knife, according to police reports. The teen-ager was stabbed in the abdomen, police reports said.

Westminster police said the son called 911 at 9:13 p.m. Sunday to ask for help breaking up a domestic dispute. The officers said they were told the elder Mr. Heinemann had put down the knife and was armed with a gun.

When they arrived, police said, they found the father outside the house and took a pocket knife from him.

Although he was somewhat intoxicated, the elder Mr. Heinemann did not resist arrest, said Sgt. Patrick Bassler.

"As soon as we got there, he walked out of the house," Sergeant Bassler said. "The son said they . . . had been arguing off and on for a while. It all came from there."

Westminster police found and seized a handgun inside the home, Sergeant Bassler said. But Mrs. Heinemann and her son did not want the father charged and would not repeat the allegations that he had assaulted them, the police officer said.

"They said they didn't know about a gun, even though it was right there beside them," Sergeant Bassler said.

Mrs. Heinemann and the teen-ager, who had a stab wound in his abdomen, were treated at Carroll County General Hospital and released Sunday night, according to police.

They said the father was charged with two counts of assault, two counts of battery, carrying a deadly weapon with intent to injure and assault with intent to maim.

He was taken to the Carroll County Detention Center and was released yesterday afternoon after posting $300 bail.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.