In tough times, letter carriers delivered for ailing co-worker

February 21, 1994|By Ed Brandt | Ed Brandt,Sun Staff Writer

Joanne Glover found out who her special friends were as her life ebbed away.

Mrs. Glover was diagnosed with cancer in June and was never able to return to her job as a letter carrier at the Parkville post office. She died Jan. 4 at the age of 42.

Her husband of five years, Bill Glover, wants to express his thanks to her postal colleagues, who contributed six weeks of their vacation time plus several hundred dollars to Mrs. Glover and her family.

"They went above and beyond the call of duty, and it's difficult to put in words our gratitude," he said. "We still see them, and they always ask how we're doing."

Mrs. Glover had accumulated 20 days of annual vacation in her seven years as a postal worker, but that and her sick leave were quickly used up. Her co-workers decided to supplement her leave time by donating their own. Leave-sharing is permitted by the Postal Service under a contract arrangement with postal workers.

Matt Chaney, manager of the 105-member Parkville post office branch in the 8200 block of Harford Road, says, "It's just something the people here wanted to do. Joanne was very well liked. She was low key, but friendly and helpful."

Donations also came from the Eudowood postal branch, where Mrs. Glover once worked, and the Nottingham branch, which operated out of Parkville until it was moved to White Marsh.

Mrs. Glover had two children from a previous marriage, Amy, 16, and Derek, 20. They live with Mr. Glover on Willow Oak Road near Joppa Road and Loch Raven Boulevard.

Mrs. Glover's major interests in life were her family and her work, but she also had a love for country dancing.

"We became interested in country dancing some years ago and developed quite a nice group of friends, who were really distressed by Joanne's illness," Mr. Glover said.

Mr. Glover, who works for Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., made his own contribution during his wife's illness, after her hair began to fall out from chemotherapy treatments.

"I told her I was going to the store one day, and instead I went to the barbershop and had my hair cut off," he said. "It wasn't quite a shave, but I didn't have much left.

"I came in the house and took off my hat. She looked at me and laughed and said, 'What did you do that for?' " he said.

"I told her we were all in this together."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.