Morgan student stabbed to death in campus fight

February 18, 1994|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,Sun Staff Writer

City police today continued their search for several men following the slaying last night of a 22-year-old Morgan State University student who was stabbed during a fight on the campus.

Two other men, Morgan students who were friends of the dead man, were injured in the stabbings.

Pronounced dead at 9:15 p.m. at Johns Hopkins Hospital was Sean Jones, who lived on Neptune Court in Baltimore County and was from Elmsford, N.Y.

It is believed Mr. Jones was a business major at Morgan.

Treated at Union Memorial Hospital for stab wounds of the back and face and later released was Shanile Shakoor, 20, originally from Jersey City, N.J., who is now living in northeast Baltimore.

Admitted to Union Memorial for treatment of stab wounds to the left shoulder and arm was Marlin Sullivan, 21, of northeast Baltimore.

No arrests had been made but police were narrowing their search for the suspects.

The fight occurred outside the Edward P. Hurt gymnasium on the northeast Baltimore campus shortly before 8 p.m., police said.

According to city homicide detective D. Martin Disney, Mr. Jones was parking his Ford Escort on a campus lot around 5 p.m. on his way to a class when another motorist struck the car.

Witnesses told police Mr. Jones and the other man became involved in an exchange of words, during which the other man threatened Mr. Jones with a knife.

Detective Disney said Mr. Jones backed off and left the area.

Around 7:30 p.m., Mr. Jones, along with Mr. Shakoor and Mr. Sullivan, were on the campus and reportedly looking for the man who damaged Mr. Jones' car.

Mr. Jones spotted the man as he stood with several other men in front of the gym and another argument broke out.

Detective Disney said Mr. Jones' friends, and several others who were on campus to attend a play all witnessed the argument. "There were a lot of people in the area," Detective Disney said.

As the argument between Mr. Jones and the other man escalated, Mr. Jones was grabbed from behind by two other men and stabbed in the back at least once by a fourth man.

When Mr. Shakoor went to Mr. Jones' defense, he also was stabbed.

During the melee, Detective Disney said, Mr. Sullivan also was stabbed.

Detective Disney said at least two knives were used in the attack.

When word that a fight was occurring, several bystanders, a campus police officer, a security man from the Nation of Islam and an MSU football coach pursued the fleeing suspects across a plaza but were unable to catch them.

It was not immediately known if the men are Morgan students.

Detective Disney said because of the large crowd and the confusion following the knife attack it was not immediately obvious that Mr. Jones was seriously wounded.

"When the ambulance arrived," Detective Disney said, "Mr. Jones was sitting up and talking."

He said there was very little blood where Mr. Jones had been sitting and that he was probably bleeding internally.

His friends were taken by car to Union Memorial Hospital.

When city police learned of the triple stabbing shortly after the ambulance arrived, they were reportedly told by Morgan campus police they would handle it.

However, fearing that the incident might prove serious, city police sent officers to the two hospitals.

It was while city police were at Hopkins that Mr. Jones died.

The city homicide squad was immediately notified of Mr. Jones' death and took over the investigation, along with MSU campus police.

Detective Disney said the campus police developed information that may lead to someone who can identify some of the suspects.

Reached by telephone at his home, Morgan's president, Earl S. Richardson said, "It's a tragedy, a very regrettable thing."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.