Caps end in 2-2 OT tie after 2-goal 1st period

February 16, 1994|By Bill Free | Bill Free,Sun Staff Writer

LANDOVER -- Bill Ranford stopped 41 shots last night as the struggling Edmonton Oilers stopped Washington's four-game winning streak and earned a rare point on the road in a 2-2 tie.

Zdeno Ciger and Shayne Corson scored power-play goals for the Oilers, who ended a four-game skid despite taking only 17 shots. Edmonton has an NHL-worst 3-18-7 road record.

Dale Hunter and Kelly Miller scored for the Capitals, 7-1-1 in their last nine games. Goalie Don Beaupre, who faced only five shots in the final 25 minutes, had his five-game winning streak broken.

Washington went 0-for-5 against Edmonton's penalty-killing unit, which came in ranked 25th among the 26 NHL teams.

The Capitals had a chance to take the lead with 14 minutes to go in regulation, but Ranford stopped a shot in the slot by Steve Konowalchuk, then made a sprawling glove-save on Konowalchuk's attempt to stuff in the rebound.

The Oilers went on the power play with 2:03 left in overtime, but managed only one shot on goal.

Washington outshot the Oilers 18-5 in the first period and took advantage of two Edmonton miscues to take a 2-1 lead. First, Hunter's centering pass from the side of the net struck the skate of Oilers defenseman Igor Kravchuk and bounced through Ranford's pads at 4:25.

Ciger tied it four minutes later with his 20th goal, putting in the rebound of a shot by Bob Beers. Washington made it 2-1 at 18:57 when Miller took the puck away from Adam Bennett, passed to Todd Krygier, then took a return pass and scored from the right side of the net.

The Oilers pulled even at 17:18 of the second period when Corson got his team-high 25th goal, slapping in the rebound of Beers' shot.

Frustration started to set in for the Capitals in the second period when they continued to dominate play but couldn't score against Ranford, who had 25 saves in the first two periods.

Ranford and the Oilers killed three more Washington power plays in the second period, making the Capitals 0-for-5 in man-advantage situations in the first 40 minutes.

The inability to score by Washington gave Edmonton a chance to tie the game at 2 at 17:18 of the second period on a second power play of the night by the Oilers.

Edmonton was 2 of 4 on power plays in the first two periods.

The Oilers' Corson tied the score when he tapped in the puck when it bounced right to him after Beaupre had saved a Beers shot.

The Corson goal enabled Edmonton to escape the second period with a 2-2 tie.

The first period was all Washington as the Capitals sent 18 shots on goal and could have scored at least four times if it hadn't been for some nifty goaltending by Ranford.

Ranford was under siege from the opening faceoff and found a way to hold Washington to a 2-1 lead at the end of the first 20 minutes. Ranford had 16 saves in the period.

Hunter struck first for the Capitals 4:25 into the game when he bulled his way through three Edmonton defenders for a score.

Hunter's goal for a 1-0 lead came after a flurry of shots by Washington in a frantic 15-second stretch.

Edmonton tied the score at 1 on a power-play goal by Ciger at 8:47 of the first period. Cigar tapped in a rebound of a shot by Beers that was saved by Beaupre.

Less than two minutes later, Washington had an excellent opportunity to regain the lead but the Capitals couldn't take advantage of a 5-on-3 power play.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.