Real estate agent
Beatrice Parker, a real estate agent who had held administrative posts at Goucher College and the Johns Hopkins University, died Sunday of cancer at St. Joseph Hospital. She was 71.
The Ruxton resident, who was associated with Coldwell Banker, had worked for the W.H.C. Wilson; O'Conor, Piper & Flynn; and Russell T. Baker real estate firms.
A graduate of the Realtors Institute, Mrs. Parker was a certified residential specialist. She was a life member of the Real Estate Million Dollar Association and had served on the board of the association's local unit.
From 1964 to the early 1970s, she was associate director of public relations at Goucher. For a time in the 1970s, she was coordinator of continuing medical education at Hopkins.
She was born Beatrice Markle in Wilmington, Del., and grew up in Lancaster, Pa. She moved to Baltimore in 1942 and was a civilian employee of the Army.
She was a former president of the Lake Falls Garden Club and was active in the Inner Wheel of the Towson Rotary Club. She also was a member of the Commodore Joshua Barney Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and of the Colonial Dames, XVII Century.
Her husband, Joseph W. Parker, who died in 1982, was vice president and a founding partner of Pharmaplastics Inc.
Services for Mrs. Parker will be held at 2 p.m. today at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, Boyce and Carrollton avenues in Ruxton.
She is survived by four sons, Navy Capt. Joseph W. Parker Jr. of Memphis, Tenn., Timothy E. Parker of Baltimore, Mark E. Parker of Millers and John C. Parker of Pikesville; two sisters, Phyllis M. Chait of Baltimore and Elizabeth M. Sill of Portland, Ore.; and four grandchildren.
C. H. Dackermann
Clayton H. Dackermann, a retired inspector at Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point plant who enjoyed building with brick and stone, died Saturday of heart failure at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
The longtime Dundalk resident was 67.
He learned masonry from his Italian in-laws after he married Marie Costa of Baltimore in 1947.
"They were all in the business, and he was fascinated by it," said his son, Paul C. Dackermann of Dundalk.
"He and my mother had a summer home in West Virginia, named Claymar from the combination of both of their names, and he did all the stone work and built the fireplace," the son said.
Mr. Dackermann was born in Linden, N.J., and was a 1944 graduate of Linden High School. He briefly worked in an aircraft plant in Rome, N.Y., before being drafted in the Army. He served in the Philippines after attending the ordnance school at Aberdeen Proving Ground. He was discharged in 1946 with the rank of technician 4th grade.
After the war, he worked at the Glenn L. Martin Co. in Middle River while taking design courses at the Maryland Institute of Art. He briefly worked at Bethlehem Steel as an inspector in the Sparrows Point shipyard before joining the Koppers Co., returning to Bethlehem Steel in 1954. He helped install brickwork in the huge coke ovens and hearths used for steelmaking and retired in 1987 after working for 10 years as a brickwork inspector.
He enjoyed collecting and restoring antiques as well as gardening.
He was active in the Sons of Italy, Boumi Temple, Patapsco Masonic Lodge No. 183, Eastern Star Henry Brecht Lodge No. 43 and the Dundalk Shrine Club.
Services were to be held at 10 a.m. today at Dundalk United Methodist Church, Dunran and Mornington roads in Dundalk, where he had been an active member.
In addition to his wife and son, survivors include a daughter, Dana M. Macin of Sacramento, Calif., two brothers, Herbert W. Dackermann of Linden and Robert J. Dackermann of Elizabethtown, Pa.; two sisters, Viola O'Brien and Barbara Ann Croghan, both of Linden; and four grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial donations to the Dundalk United Methodist Church Endowment Fund or the Boumi Temple Transportation Fund.
W. Arthur Tewes Jr.
W. Arthur Tewes Jr., a retired mechanical engineer at the Naval Research and Development Center in Annapolis, died Feb. 9 of pneumonia at the William Hill Health Care Center in Easton.
Mr. Tewes, who was 73, retired in 1980 from the naval research center, where he had worked since 1950 and had received five letters of commendation and two Superior Accomplishment Awards.
He moved from Severna Park to Queenstown in 1969 and liked to garden, fish and crab at his home on the Wye River.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Tewes was a 1938 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and worked at the Glenn L. Martin Co. for two years before enrolling in the Georgia Institute of Technology. He graduated with honors in 1948.
His college education was interrupted by World War II, during which he served in the Navy as a radar technician aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific.
Before starting work in Annapolis, he worked for two years for Pan American Refining Corp. in Baltimore.
He was a member of the Professional Engineers Association and the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.
A memorial service for Mr. Tewes was to be held at noon today at St. Luke's Episcopal Chapel in Queenstown.
He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former June W. Thompson; a son, Warren D. Tewes of Severna Park; a sister, Isabelle T. Henning of Towson; and two grandchildren.
The family suggested that memorial contributions be made to the National Stroke Association, 1420 Ogden St., Denver, Colo. 80219.