Fire under restaurant causes brief evacuation

February 15, 1994

More than 150 Sunday customers at Baugher's Restaurant, in the 200 block W. Main St., were forced to evacuate when insulation of a cold storage area under the building was ignited about 5:30 p.m.

Fire officials said the insulation caught fire when Nathan Baugher, son of owner Allan Baugher, was using a propane torch under the building in an attempt to remove old pipes.

Customers were allowed to return to the restaurant in about 15 minutes, but firefighters remained at the scene for one hour to be sure the fire did not spread.

Units from Westminster, Pleasant Valley, Reese and Manchester responded to the fire. No one was injured, officials said.

POLICE

* Westminster: A resident of Marydell Drive told city police someone broke the rear window of his vehicle while it was parked at Crossroads Square Shopping Center and stole items valued at $750 Saturday.

A resident of Willis Street told city police someone stole several items from his automobile while it was parked on Greenwood Avenue on Thursday. The loss is estimated at $190.

FIRE

* Finksburg: Reese and Westminster responded to a chimney fire in the 2400 block of Clydesdale Way at 7:46 p.m. Saturday. Units were out for 28 minutes.

* Westminster: Westminster, Reese, Pleasant Valley and Manchester were dispatched for an apartment fire on Pennsylvania Avenue at 11:25 a.m. Saturday. Units were out for 20 minutes.

* Patapsco: Reese was dispatched to the 2800 block of Patapsco Road for a hazardous condition call due to a heavy accumulation of ice on the roof, causing leaks into the walls of the house at 9:42 p.m. Saturday. Firefighters removed some of the snow and ice and remained out of service for 52 minutes.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.