Green tops Walker for state title

February 10, 1994|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,Sun Staff Writer

Unbeaten junior welterweight Reggie Green of Clinton failed to make good on his pre-fight boast of a knockout, but he left little doubt of his superiority over Lyndon Paul Walker of Hillcrest Heights last night in the 10-round bout for the Maryland state title before 1,789 at Martin's West.

Green (13-0) used an early knockdown and his boxing skills to win more decisively than his split decision victory over Walker (10-7-4) in their previous bout last September.

Ranked No. 12 by the USBA, Walker received 99-90 support from judges Larry Barrett and Chris Wolleson. Terry Moore scored it 96-93 for the winner.

In the 10-round co-feature, cruiserweight Jagon Waller of Virginia left no room for further dispute in his third meeting with Scott Jones of Baltimore. Waller (19-4-2), who won a close six-round decision in their first match in 1990 and needed an eighth-round knockout to seal their second fight in 1992, rocked Jones with uppercuts, wide hooks and right hands.

In the title bout, Walker, who was a hit on national television last December when, as a substitute for Oscar De La Hoya, he upset Jose Concepcion at Madison Square Garden, put pressure on Green in the opening round. Walker crowded Green and scored with effective hooks to the body.

But Green gained the momentum early in the second round when he dropped Walker with a straight right. Walker took a mandatory eight count and regained his composure. But Green rocked him again with another right just before the end of the round.

In the third round, Green began using his left hand, shaking Walker with several hooks. But in the fourth round, Walker smothered most of Green's punches while dominating the infighting.

Green caught Walker in the fifth round with solid hooks and right crosses. He also won the sixth.

Walker began to tire in the seventh round as Green's heavier punches took their toll. Walker staged a brief rally in the eighth and spent a good part of the ninth round showboating.

In the co-feature, Waller's playfulness and clowning cost him a chance for a knockout as Jones lacked the firepower to hold him at bay.

Waller, 22, who shed more than 20 pounds to rejoin the 190-pound division, was out-boxed in the first two rounds by his shorter rival, but turned the fight in his favor in the fourth round when he wobbled Jones with an uppercut.

Jones mounted a furious last-round rally, but it was too little, too late. Judges Ray Klingmeyer and Moore voted for Waller by 96-94 and 97-94 margins. Barrett called it a 96-96 draw.

In preliminary bouts:

* Washington middleweight Rueben Bell (2-0), one of the best-looking prospects showcased here in the past decade, used a withering body attack to win a lopsided six-round decision over Bernard Robinson (0-2) of Pittsburgh.

* Florida heavyweight Tim Noble (6-6) won the final round and a six-round split decision over Mike Whitfield (4-4) of Baltimore.

* Light-heavyweight Walter Linkins of Laurel made a successful pro debut by out-punching Steve Gurley (0-5) of Philadelphia to gain a four-round majority decision.

* Left-handed Alan Watts won a brief middleweight bout with Washington rival Kevin Johnson. Watts staggered Johnson with two crisp hooks when referee Leo Schumacher stopped it at 2:25 of the first round.

* In a four-round fight that lacked finesse, but had nonstop action, welterweight Mark Padeletti (3-4-1) of Baltimore won a disputed split decision over Matt Phillips (5-4-1) of Easton, Pa.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.